tackle talk

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 84 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

I have been on trips like that off Kaikouria. We would easily catch 15 Blue Cod and maybe 10 perch (They taste the same). And often the others on the boat would not want to keep all of their meat. We also got a few crayfish.

The crayfish generally pays for the trip by themselves. But I find that kind of fishing quite boring. You drop the line then winch them in.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea while mullet fishing in the kaiapoi id usually get a

yellowfin
    Participant

yea we got about 25 kg of cod the rfirst time then the 2nd time we got mixture of cod

yellowfin
    Participant

and hookwise for mullet id use the smallest

yellowfin
    Participant

That is not a bad size for a trout. How often would you catch a Salmon?

What fishing method do you use?

yellowfin
    Participant

and maybe a 2/0circle hook on the top or even a 3/0 at times just incase a kaiwhai etc is around

yellowfin
    Participant

I have found the warehouse sambiki are deadly on Mullet. Although they are generally only good for 1 use.

yellowfin
    Participant

ahh mostly sea run trout ill just be

yellowfin
    Participant

At times I would use a sabiki rig then instead of a sinker on the end I would use a spinner.

Half the time the fish would hammer the Sabiki the rest would take the larger spinner. Was certainly a efficent method on Mullet, KY and trout. Although it would be illigal tackle on trout so I release them.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea the kaiapoi

yellowfin
    Participant

i havnt tried any of those berkly gulp

yellowfin
    Participant

MiliWolf

yellowfin
    Participant

HEAD

yellowfin
    Participant

From what I have heard they are rather ‘average’. The crabs are not very popular.

They work well if you can give the bait a bit of action. Snapper and Blue Cod love them. I have a couple of rig designs in my head which might allow a SP to be fished in the surf.

Maybe a BOS, then have a long trace of around a meter (maybe with a float) and a unweighted softplastic rigged with a worm hook. Hopefully the wave actions and currents would allow the plastic to flutter around a bit. Hopefully would try it out this summer.

If I can get going tomorow. I am thinking of trying to use Gulp worms and I think corn on flounders in a local river. It might work. Would also set up a surf rod to catch Red COd with at the same time.

Any of the scented plastics are 100% illegal to use on trout or salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea if i go out 2morrow if the seas too rough for my liking i might just try in the waimak mouth and fish till dark see if i can get a few more

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members