Tackle Repair

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone in the canterbury know the best (and cheapest) option for rod repair? Just need new tip on my 8ft tica.

yellowfin
    Participant

or if any of you have done this themselves, if so how easy was it?

baitman
    Participant

Its real easy. if you still hve the tip you can get the old bit out by heating it over a candle. typically I light the candle holding the broken side with one hand and the eyelet in the other move the steel over the flame tip while pulling the ends apart, It will come off in only a few seconds you maybe able to reuse it with a lttle sanding (not too much as it will weaken the tip).
    If you take the rod to Hunting and fishing or any shop and find a tip that fits (they dont cost much)

To reattach use a hot glue gun
    a little in the hole of the eyelet and a little on the rod push together quickly check alignment and you are done.
    If you want you can bind the base of the eyelet any glue over(I just use my flytying bobbyn strong thread and head cement) but I dont think it is nessasary the ones I have had done in the shop never are.

baitman
    Participant

A good shop will do it while you wait prob cost about $15, I prefer to do it myself after watching an “apprentice” do it.

yellowfin
    Participant

baitman

yellowfin
    Participant

Probably the easiest thing to repair on a rod. Find a replacement one that will fit over the tip without it being to loose, slowly heat the metal on the tip and pull until it comes loose (if you heat to much it will damage the rod especially graphite and you could have to trim the rod down), once it’s off put the new one on with some epoxy or rod tip glue. Normal hot glue works but sometimes can come loose or soften in the sun.

Don’t pay anyone to do jobs like that, even replacing or redoing all the guides on a rod you can do yourself if you can get some rod binding cotton and proper epoxy just takes some practice.

baitman
    Participant

I wouldn’t use epoxy the nature of epoxy is that it binds with what it adheres to at a moleclar level thats why its so strong and can be used in construction safely. It would be a 1 time thing to replace again you would have to cut off the tip aswell. Probably any contact type glue would work, I use a hot glue gun cause thats what I was told to use by the shop assistant I haven’t had any probs with it.

elmo22
    Participant

I have a penn powerstick 4.2mt and have used it only about 6-8 times and at xmas time over on the coast i went to use it and when checking it before i went out i noticed that the 2 top guides had lost the centre ceramic i was very disappointed in the rod falling apart like that it was brand new doesnt give my great hope for the rest of the for guides has any one else had any this happen to then. thought penn was a good brand doesnt look good if thats the way rods fall apart

yellowfin
    Participant

i did the last one myself, Doesnt cost much for a shop to fix it, they will normally do it free all you have to do is buy the tip, Prices can vary on how good of a tip you want ,ie brand what its made of etc. i have payed about 5 bucks for one before and have payed 20 bucks for a tip also

St_Paul
    Participant

you don’t even need a hot glue gun, just buy the sticks and heat them with a lighter. I do all my own rod repairs. Have been recently gifted a 24kg shimano raider rod minus rings which someone took to my Local (tackleshop) to have repaired. They then decided they’d just buy a new rod and wanted to old one dumped. Should be a fun winter project. Have also added a fighting butt and graphite strengthening to my old kilwell customline 9 weight so I can use it for saltwater. next step is to add another stripping guide.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea there is that glue stick kinda thing isnt there , cant remember the exact name off the top of my head but its like a glue stick pass it over a lighter and then apply

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.