Surfcasting trip Two

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

There seems to be a lack of interest in the other thread. So here is a new idea.

We should try for a day/night fish along the Kekerengu Coast. There seems to be a campground at the Waipapa Bay (tents only). So spend the day fishing the beach, then into the night. Around 12pm (or whenever) head back to camp for sleep. Next morning, get up for a dawn fish.

When: Late November, Early December.

Thoughts?

yellowfin
    Participant

I wouldn’t say there’s a lack of interest in a trip, we’re just waiting for the water to warm up a bit. How far north of Kaikoura is Waipapa Bay?

yellowfin
    Participant

Sleep??? whats that?? :lol:

Miliwolf
    Participant

20 minutes maybe.

I reckon the water should be warm enough by late november, and the beaches around that area are really nice.

yellowfin
    Participant

12 pm thats a lil early to call it a night aint it? unless u mean sleep at 12pm and fishing by 4am?????? ill give it some thought.. early december at this stage suits best for me but would hav to check out tides. and too see how many of us end up keen for it

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, sleep around mid-night then up on time to fish the dawn. Which would be around 4am… Could even leave gear set up to allow for a quick start.

yellowfin
    Participant

weekend of the 6th and 7th december looks alright too me with hightide being round 11 or 12 at night and then low tide being 6am

Sevengillz
    Participant

I fished Waipapa last sunday.Was a real shitty day down there with a big dirty sea.Does look to be a good spot for a fish and I have fished there a couple of times but conditions have never been favourible.I fished in between the big rocks right on the edge of the open beach and used prawns.I have a feeling that it might not be very deep close to the rocks,although it looks deep it just didnt seem right :?
    I would suggest maybe walking north away from the rocks and to where its a bit more open during daylight hours and then maybe move closer to the rocks during early evening.
    I dunno I just got the feeling that the fish,namely sharks if anything may be taking a wide berth around the last few rocks when they came around the outcrop
    and in closer a bit further up the beach…who knows? :roll: I guess there is only one way to find out.
    It does look like promising moki country though and maybe night time is the ticket.

yellowfin
    Participant

likehe sound of that. one thing i wanna get into this year other than sharks is gurnard! should hav a good chance over new years when up in karamea cause have seen ALOT caught off the westport northern breakwater

Miliwolf
    Participant

Would be good if we could get the tides earlier in the evening, maybe about 8pm… That way we get to fish the incoming and high tide in the evening, and get to repeat it around dawn. Have not checked the tides myself, they probably would not be playing ball.

Have caught quite a few gurnards in the Sounds. Mainly from boats but also caught them on Softplastic while spinning from the shore.

yellowfin
    Participant

but im thinking for the incomming tide which i believe is usually much better for fishing and havin a high tide when its dark

Miliwolf
    Participant

I like to fish Incoming, High and start of outgoing. So roughly 4 hours before High then 2 hours after. But on a trip like the above we would probably fish all the tides anyway.

Was not thinkinh of fishing Waipapa itself, was thinking a bit further north. Kind-of between the mouth of the Clarence and three fords. We could even just camp on the beach, that way we can leave the rods set all night and waste less time traveling. Would need to be a nice night.

Does anyone know of a section of coast with ‘public’ access which is a decent distance away from the main road?

Sevengillz
    Participant

you could walk north from waipapa because the beach juts out away from the main road the further north you go but the problem would be finding a suitable place to park your wagons.
    Parikawa would be an ideal place to camp up but the problem now is the state of the beach.Its f*cked and near impossible to fish with a moderate swell.Its all cut up and big boulders have been piled up and the surf is constantly rolling them all around and the waves are running right in.Its a mess at the mo so hopefully a good storm will change it again.Plus it might be a bit far up for the chch boys.
    Have you thought about the conway area? Ive wanted to check that place out for a long time.Surely there would be suitable areas to camp there????
    Maybe even scope out a good stretch of beach and ask a local cocky if you could camp up in a paddock next to the beach or something???
    I hope to pick up a new wagon in a couple of weeks thats suitable for chuckin a sleeping bag in and campin the beaches so If anyone here checked out the conway lately,fill us in. 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hilux Surf is a good fishing truck. I can take out the back seat and sleep in the back, do require to bend my legs slightly but thats because I am 193cm tall. The main problem is that I take to much junk so never have the room spare.

Never fished Parikawa before, where is the access point?

yellowfin
    Participant

Sevengillz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.