surfcasting reels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys

Im looking at upgrading my surf gear whats a good reel that last time and cast long I have my eye on the penn spinfisher v 9500 any thoughts.How about the Daiwa Gold Series GS9

yellowfin
    Participant

This might seem like a strange idea but if you want a surfcasting reel that casts a long way and lasts for ever nothing beats an Alvey.
    You can read about them here: https://fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting … ls-one.htm

yellowfin
    Participant

Tica Samira will be my next purchase cheap and reliable with 10year warranty.
    My current tica cost me 64buks off trademe amd there 160 in the shop
    they also outcast alot of other more expensive reels.
    Hope that helps

Miliwolf
    Participant

Alvey certainly cast well, are durable and have massive line capacity but thats about where their desirability ends.

Penn Spinfisher v has good sealing, and probably fairly durable but its still a mid range reel. Also from memory it does not have a long cast spool.

The Penn Z series is probably the most durable reel they make, its comparable to the Daiwa GS9. They both old designs, which follow the formula which is strong, simple and proven… but they do not have the performance of the newer reels. I have own several modern Daiwa Surf Reels, while they are nice to fish with and to cast, they are not exactly durable. If you are prepared to spend close to $1000 then the Penn Torque is quite a impressive surf reel

I would probably suggest a Shimano Ultegra, it has a long cast spool, and backed by Shimanos 10 years warranty so even if it does break, these a good chance it would be repaired (at least for 10 years).

yellowfin
    Participant

1000buks on reel jesus milli ! Calm ya farm :) he said upgrade not titanium coated nikel platinum

troutfishernz
    Participant

rig_slasher

yellowfin
    Participant

Agree with Thomas, I have about 11 surf reels and would say my 3 ultegras would be the pick close key followed by a okuma axeon , at around 320 bucks the ultegra is not the most expensive on the market but for the price it’s good, long cast spools are great, nice all round reel for the money, plus a ten year warranty is handy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guy lot of good advice got a couple in mind now let yous know how I get on

Miliwolf
    Participant

troutfishernz

yellowfin
    Participant

That Zeebaas sure is a way-out looking reel. Kind of cool though!

elmo22
    Participant

I got a okuma axeon of trade me last year for $100.00 and it a nice real smooth on the drag… couple others on here have them that’s why I got one, I like it

yellowfin
    Participant

I started using Alveys because whenever I caught a big sevengiller my cheap eggbeater would be destroyed. The main-shaft would bend and the spool would melt around the drag. It was also difficult to get parts. Those reels were never designed to fight big fish. You didn’t have braid in those days of course so you needed a large line capacity reel for surfcasting. Fishing rods and reels were quite expensive back in the 1980’s because you had to have an import license to bring them into the country. At that time the cheapest 12 foot surf rod and reel combo was a Silstar and cost $200.00. Fishing tackle has improved a lot and become much cheaper than it was. I remember when Gamakatsu 5/0 hooks were almost a dollar each. The one big thing going for Alveys is you would need a sledge hammer to stop them from working!

yellowfin
    Participant

Gammys still are not far off a Doller each

yellowfin
    Participant

Goodluck to 7gillers melting my fin nor 8500 :P
    Take that ya crusty bastids.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.