Surfcasting Otago

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi

Does anyone know any good rocks to surfcast off around Dunedin or Otago areas?

I recently moved here and am trying to find some good spots.

Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Still haven’t fished anywhere around dunedin yet but I think there’s a few members on the forum from the area that might know. Have you tried off the wharfs? I’m pretty certain that anywhere that is accessible and fishable will have fish around just gotta put some time into it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have tried at Aramoana and Karitane but there is a lot of kelp there and lose a lot of gear.
    I would like to catch some bluecod. Is there any particular way to catch these. I am used to fishing for snapper up the north island.
    Are the stripped wrasse any good for eating?
    I will keep trying to find new spots for the time being.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Lots of bones but the flesh is not bad eating. Only tried them once. If snags prove to be a massive problem try using no sinkers and just a single hook. Should help to reduce snags partially and you would lose less costly tackle.

Blue Cod are very easy to catch and would eat almost anything, just need to find a reef where they live within casting distance from the shore.

yellowfin
    Participant

i believe you can get them surfcasting at manuka bay

and i have caught smaller ones fishing the rock end of nape nape and seen them caught at rock end of birdlings flat and someone told me south bay off the rocks for the blue cod too

yellowfin
    Participant

They are all Canturbury areas. I was after somewhere in Otago, closer to Dunedin the better.
    I have mainly been catching rock cod and stripped wrasse. As far as i know rock cod aren’t much good for eating.

Just need to find a reef to be able to catch some blue cod.
    Is there any particular rig setup or hooks i should use to target blue cod. i have been using squid as bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have caught legal sized blue cod off the Bluff wharf although that’s probably a bit far from where you are. Normal trace I’d use would just be a simple 1,2 or 3 hook ledger rig with around 5/0 hooks and squid would work fine for bait. If you can find somewhere without snags and reasonably deep water there could be something worth catching. Sometimes you have to fish the snags to catch the fish though. I’m certain there is blue cod off the wharfs at dunedin as someone posted on this website a while back.

check this topic if you didn’t see it as it has a lot of information: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=207

Copied from another forum:

[quote:ifynmhux]Saltwater
    1- try for a slamon of the wharf in town, they so a smelt release every year into the Water of Leith to get them to”run”. I remeber watching the spawning slamon from the Hocken Building in the leith, when I was at lectures at uni, they are fantastic.
    2- Try the mole on the northern side(aramoana) side of the harbour enterance can catch moki, cod, butterfish and spotties etc here.
    3- Puddingstone Rocks on the Peninsula, use to be fantastic for land based shark fishing, wold catch makos here in its day.
    4- Taeri River mouth Kawahai caught here
    5- Gun emplacements on at tairoa head. when the road leaves the coast at Otakau/harrington Point and the road starts climbing you’ll see the signs advertising the gun emplacements park here and walk down, salmon, kawahai and mullet caught here

Fresh Water
    1 the leith around the back of uni you will be surprised at some of the size of the sea run browns here.
    2 the taieri river out on the taieri plains big sea run browns, perch etc
    3 Lower Waipori River as a bove
    4 Strath Taieri – by far the best, heaps of itrrigation weirs and ponds that hold fish! Lots of big hungry fish!

Might have a trip down that way next summer cos these sharks sounds interesting. Anyone know how deep the water is off Puddingstone Rocks? If it’s suitable to put a balloon out off there a mako/thresher/blue should be possible but I dunno how you’d go about landing it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

Most people i’ve talked too only catch small undersize fish off the wharves in the city.

Might give the Puddingstone Rocks a go though. I have heard it is quite good but havn’t got out there yet.

What forum was that info you (Zac) posted up from? Did it have any other relevant info?

yellowfin
    Participant

Got that off a topic on fishing.net.nz forums but it didn’t have any other info. Wharfes always seem to have a lot of undersize fish of various species I think mainly because it’s shallower water and closer to land. A lot of it all depends on the times of the year and it’s different for every species. Certain times of the year might be better for the bigger blue cod and same for other species. If you do end up fishing at Puddingstone Rocks try take some pictures as I’d be interested in what the area looks like and what the fishing and access would be like. If its anything like Black Rock at Taylors Mistake down here you gotta walk for ages with all your gear to get there.

Mal
    Participant

If you have no luck & dont mind going for a drive, the Moeraki Lighthouse would be well worth a look.There is always a sheltered side to fish on, and the bluecod are never far away, I normally just walk around the Island casting every 20 paces or so, berleying may improve your chances as well.

yellowfin
    Participant

I will try get out to the Puddinstone Rocks sometime this year and i will let you you know how i get on out there.

Can you drive all the way out to the Moeraki Lighthouse or is it a private track?

Mal
    Participant

Drive all the way to the lighthouse then its a short walk to the island, usually a heap of seals & penguins about so neat place to take the kids as well

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers i will have to check it out

yellowfin
    Participant

i have done lot of rock fishing around dunedin

Saltwater
    1- try for a slamon of the wharf in town, they so a smelt release every year into the Water of Leith to get them to”run”. I remeber watching the spawning slamon from the Hocken Building in the leith, when I was at lectures at uni, they are fantastic.
    for salmon fishing you need to jag the sprats when they come around,
    2- Try the mole on the northern side(aramoana) side of the harbour enterance can catch moki, cod, butterfish and spotties etc here.
    for joys with families, it is a good place.
    3- Puddingstone Rocks on the Peninsula, use to be fantastic for land based shark fishing, wold catch makos here in its day.
    it is a very good place for fishing but dangerous. lighte house nearby is another good place too, although i think this one is more danerours.(not far ago, a Korean was killed at there)
    i also found the place at sealpoint road(sandfly beach?) is a place you could give it go, less danerous. you need park at the gate and take about 15 mins for walk up and down the hill.
    at here, i experienced the spring tide is best time for fishing.

4- Taeri River mouth Kawahai caught here
    if you can go there at very low tide and walk over the beach to the taieri island and fishing until next low tide coming back, fish would be fulfilled your tanks, wrass , cods and moki.
    5- Gun emplacements on at tairoa head. when the road leaves the coast at Otakau/harrington Point and the road starts climbing you’ll see the signs advertising the gun emplacements park here and walk down, salmon, kawahai and mullet caught here
    not good fishing, having try this place, only i have some wrass

croozer
    Participant

Moraki Head at the light hose is a great spot for bluecod, but the couta can get real thick at times, to the point of eating everything that you throw in the water.
    By far the best rock fishing I have had is down in the Catlins area.Bag limits of bluecod(kilo plus) as well as trumpeter and other fish. Wont say exactley where I fish there as looking and being rewarded with results is most of the fun.
    I would say that there are countless good spots that are teeming with fish, but I havent got around to fishing them yet. Just go and have a look and remember to watch the water at all times as this is a rugged and dangerous part of the coast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.