Surfcasting in Canterbury area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    pooky
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m new to Fishingmag. I’m interested to know where are some good surfcasting areas with access not an issue with quadbikes. Alot types of bait to use.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Rodman
    Participant

Is there a reason that you need to use a quad bike?
    We can drive to all fishing places and only would use a bike once in fifty outings or so.

If you dont want to eat it put it back.

pooky
    Participant

Well its something different and due to not having a 4wd why not?!?!?!

Yakkaman
    Participant

why not buy a kayak instead heaps of fun we ave a meeting tonight
    http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com

yellowfin
    Participant

Nearly all beaches are accessible to quad bikes. Anywhere from Timaru and further north to Birdlings Flat is good, also further north past Christchurch like Amberly or Nape Nape.

rdeejay
    Participant

Anywhere from the top end of amberley beach right down to ashworths beach are all good, and then you also have from birdlings flat area right down the whole of the kaitorete spit.

pooky
    Participant

Hey thanks very much for the info. Can anyone recommend successful bait for surfcasting please?

Miliwolf
    Participant

In my opinion there is two main type of baits. There is the fish baits (Pilchard, Mullet, Kahawai, Bonito ect) and they work well on most Sharks, Red Cod and Kahawai.

There there is the Crustacean (Shrimp, Prawn, Crab and Crayfish) and Shellfish which work well on Rig and Moki but would rarely catch other fish (which can be a good thing if Dogfish and Red Cod are in plague proportions).

I consider Squid somewhere in the middle between the two groups. In reality its probably has more in common to the fish baits then the Crustacean.

For starters a good range which is easily available would be Pilchards, Squid and Raw Prawn.

oldtrout
    Participant

I read somewhere that the pier in New Brighton is ok for fishing, but I thought the loonies had got their way and had it closed.
    Can anyone update me please?

yellowfin
    Participant

Pier at Brighton is still open for fishing. Just follow the rules, no overhead casting etc

pooky
    Participant

cool…thankyou :)

yellowfin
    Participant

hrmm thats kinda random

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.