Surfcasting Dunedin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone know whether it’s worth surfcasting in Dunedin (for anything other than the Salmon) ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Not 100% sure on dunners im sure rock fishing you mabe be able t pick up various wrasses etc some perhapps decent sharks in areas sting rays maybe even gurnard cause they do catch them at bluff. red cod could also be about um i dunno really i guess its just one of those things that you dont really know what ull catch unless you try. do intend on fishing dunners some time

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I don’t know, i live in Dunedin and I’m considering getting a surf-rod for myself, apparently out at the heads, Karitane and Doctors Point are good placed though for what i couldnt say i would assume, small sharks [ e.g. rig sharks, dogfish maybe tope] and as eldurino said red cod, wrasse [wrasse is butterfish isnt it?]
    stingrays, and in dunedin you can get the chance of catching a seven-gill shark.

Come on people, add to this forum!

————————————–

People who run in front of cars are dumb; they get run over.
    People who run behind cars are dumb also; they get exahsted.

yellowfin
    Participant

as far as i know wrasse is wrasse butterfish is a different species also known as greenbone and its beautiful eating. i dont know weather many iof us will know alot abut dunners as most of us are from canterbusy and marlborough but we will try to help as much as we can

fishsnatcher
    Participant

well i caught a 4lb blue cod off the dunedin wharf so you could add blue cod to the surfcasting list?

——————————————–
    LIcking poisonous toads relieves depression but the toad soon gets depressed again ounce you stop licking it.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

surfcasting for salmon? what methods would you use for that? cut Mullet? and is it any better than just fishing off the wharf.

And yes another question :grin: , has anyone used live mullet for salmon?

yellowfin
    Participant

more so in the harbour. could use a whoe mullet fished under a float. a spinner or a shole pillie fished under a float i guess would work like it does here in kaiapoi

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m all new to this, but i’d be happy to come along for a tip. I’m in Dunedin also

Sevengillz
    Participant

I havnt done any fishing in Dunners but I did a fair bit of recon work when I used to come down and I reckon on a calm day you could find possie on the rocks around the Taiaroa head area.Checked out some beaches also but the seem to be shallowish sandy surf beaches so you would either need a good setup to lobb your baits out far enough to clear the breakers or some waders and do it 90 mile beach style.
    I reckon the rocks around the Tairoa head area would be the shit.Prob bigger variety of fish and alot easier to find deeper water.If I remember correctly there was a small stretch of beach on the south side of the peninsula called boulder beach?? It was all shingle and seemed to be a bit steeper than any other and it would be my choice over any sandy surf beach.
    But like I said I never fished there and its been a few years but from what I saw it seemed you Southern fishers are spoilt for choice :grin:
    Let us know how you get on 8)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Sevengillz, isnt that a bit contrdictory?

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

no he means the shit as in awesome lol

Sevengillz
    Participant

lol yeah sorry I mean…the GOOD shit :wink:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol, what my brother is gonna by a surfcasting rod now [hes 12 years old] so I’ll go down to Tairoa Head with him sea how it is what we catch; if anything at all
    and if its worth while I’ll deffinitly by a surf rod and if not i might buy one anyway, for the holidays :)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

a guy i know has a couple of friends who go fishing at the sand bar near port chalmers, he thinks the blue cod i caught off the wharf might be a fluke,
    and also there are kawhai around Dunedin and in reasonable numbers aswell.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

A question for anyone visiting the forum, what would be the best way to catch kawhai in Dunedin??? I was only thinking of using fresh or frozen mullet [preferrably fresh] and cast ‘er out, not many people spin fish in Dunedin off the rocks for salmon i wouldn’t know about spinning for kawhai :?

Edit; apparently mako, thresher, blue, and porbeagle sharks can all be caught just off the coast out by Taiaroa head so they could probably be caught by surfcasting as well :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.