Surfcasting at Kaikoura

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 80 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

um not too sure on the happenings up in kaikoura lately but im sure there maybe some red cod around maybe a blue cod

yellowfin
    Participant

Think I would go down to the wharf next weekend (if the weather is decent) and throw in heaps of of burley and try to get a real feeding frenzy going.

During the day, I might even get my surfcasters out and try for a shark from the beach. The water is always so tempting looking down there so I put on my wetsuit and jump in to hunt butterfish. But going for a swim is also a good chance to collect a range of shellfish to use for bait.

If the tide is right I might even walk out to the end of the ‘reef’ in limestone bay. At low tide you can get a good distance out there. Once there I would start using my burley. There are heaps of Butterfish and Moki around the rocks in this area.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea good point im sure u could get a few paua for bait or something

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I grabbed a paua the last time to use for bait. But the fishing was so slow I decided to go home before needing to use it. Had it for lunch instead.

I also tried a big snail (Paua are massive snails) and caught a very small fish on it. The big snail flesh was nearly identical to the pauas I have prepared.

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried some spots around Kaikoura a couple of days ago and didn’t catch a thing. I was mainly using mussels for bait, plus salmon and squid.

yellowfin
    Participant

Think it might be worth waiting for spring before going on any serious fishing trips. But in saying that, might head down next weekend if the weather looks calm.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members