Surfcasting at Kaikoura

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 80 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

If you are interested in shark fishing have a look at http://nzfishing.atspace.org/shark.html

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks. Seems like a good range of different hook sizes are required.

10/0 for SevenGills

5/0 for ‘general’ fishing.

2/0 for moki fishing

10 hooks for Elephant, Flounder, butterfish, mullet.

But if the sea is calm. I would probably just jump in and spear a few Butters and Mokis.

yellowfin
    Participant

I would think that size 10 is a bit small for elephant fish. I would use a 2/0 or 3/0 for elephant fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

If i am fishing somewere where i havn’t been before and i dont know what can be caught i usually use a 5/0 or similer because people have caught fish as big as seven gillers on 5/0 and i have even had a yellow eyed mullet on a 5/0

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks.

I read in a ‘fishing guide book’ to use size 8-10 hooks to catch elephant fish. I have never even seen one before.

The quality and strength of the hook is more important then the size of the hook when catching large fish. I have caught large trout on small 16 size hooks before.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah i have also caught some big kahawai on small size 10 and smaller trout hooks.

If you have never seen a elephant fish, here is a picture

yellowfin
    Participant

If you are targeting a certain species the style of hook can be near as important as the size and how well its goin to

yellowfin
    Participant

I changed many of my lures to single hooks, but I found for the expensive lures like Rapala the single hooks changed their motion so had since put triples back onto them.

yellowfin
    Participant

Do the Moki hang around all year (over winter), or head North????

yellowfin
    Participant

There should be moki around all year, but around August they spawn around Gisbourne.

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjmfr/1981/30.php

Abundace Peaks
    August-September in Gisborne.
    June-July and September-October at Napier
    September-October at Wellington
    May-June and October at Kaikoura

So according to this data the next couple of months should be the prime moki fishing time.

[quote:5hue3r3l]The fish make an annual spawning migration, swimming north from Kaikoura in May-June, reaching Gisborne to spawn in August-September, and then swimming south, passing Kaikoura again in October.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just been into town and brought a few hooks ready for surf casting.

Got a Bulk Pack of 50 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. At 70c each they are not cheap but if a big fish gets on I have complete confidence in them.

Also got 8 2/0 Owner hooks for Moki fishing this weekend. They cost even more then the Gammy hooks :? .

I also found a pack of 5 10/0 Gammy suer Octy which I would use for 7 Gill until I get a few Mustad Tuna Circle hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from Kaikouria. I spent the afternoon diving around and scaring the fish. Just on dusk heaps of mokis appeared out of the weed.

Then after grabbing a feed (I was frozen and tired) I went down to the ‘new wharf’ (ok, I followed the sign which said new wharf and I got to a grotty old wharf…. with a single green light.

So I fished off that wharf and there were quite a few piper, garfish and other small bait fish on the surface. I think I saw a baracouta zoom past once. Fished there for a couple of hours and a couple of other people joined me. I was mainly using Size 2 hooks with small bits of Squid and snail for bait. I got half a dozen bites and landed 1 small perch. The others landed a small red cod. At about 8:30 I had enough and left.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have never tried using snail for bait. What did you get the perch on? The squid or the snail?

yellowfin
    Participant

Snail. Just a small random one I grabbed.

Its texture was identical to Paua. Well pauas are also Snails. If the fishing was good I had a whole paua ready to use.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thinking of heading down again next weekend for a fish around Kaikoura.

Just wondering if there has been any updates. The winter cold might encourage the red cod into the shore. But I can catch these up in Marlborough.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members