Surfcasting at Kaikoura

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 80 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

yea we got

yellowfin
    Participant

checked out the wharf lastnight and saw quite alot of moki and some were goodsize atleast 10lbs.I didint end up gettin anythin,had the wrong bait.

I tried mussles,crayfish instant bait,berkley gulp crabs,couta and squid for bait on 2/0 and 4/0 hooks.Not sure what was going on but they just werent taking anything so maybe they just werent feeding or somethin I dont know but they were chasing up the baits on retrevial and man some of them were big .No hook ups so im headin back next weekend if the weathers good

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds awsome about the Moki, I’ll have to get up there sometime.

Do you think the night would be more productive than at day time for moki?

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

From what ive heard the moki tend to come out of the kelp and into the open to feed at night but with the right baits I think you can get them fairly easily from the rocks during the day.I like to fish from wharves at night especially if theres a light because I noticed with some wharves in the sounds that you can fish there during the day and not get anything but once it gets dark and the light comes on it seems to just come alive.Like last night in Kaikoura I saw plenty of moki,a few coutas,kahawai and some goodsize garfish.The only thing landed was a tarakihi about 15cm so that was quickly let go.Hope the weather stays good this week and Ill head back down and try again.

yellowfin
    Participant

it is by far bets for moki at night i got a couple during daylight hours with a

yellowfin
    Participant

you should try something like bonito or pillie for bait we found that to be quite good also from the petrol stations in kaikoura you can get

yellowfin
    Participant

i have now since learned that what i thought were red cod up in kaiakoura that i were catching where actually

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi.

Was wondering if anyone has done any fishing around Kaikouria recently, been thinking of taking a trip down there shortly and was wondering if it is worth the effort at this time of year.

yellowfin
    Participant

um a recent report from

yellowfin
    Participant

I havnt been to Kaikoura for about a month so due for a night there next wknd if the weather stays kind.The last trip down there I got a couple of moki and a small tarakihi off the wharf and just north of Kaikoura I got a cod type fish off the beach that id never seen before.It turned out to be a true Maori chief (not a sea perch! I had to take a pic for identification purposes lol:D

yellowfin
    Participant

was it similar to a red cod just alot darker?

yellowfin
    Participant

It was a similar shape to a blue cod,firm,round fins and big head.It was black and yellow and the markings on its head sort of looked like a tattoo! Cant see the colours too good in the pic cos its covered in sand.It measured about 40cm long and it came out of some real foul ground on a prawn.

yellowfin
    Participant

ohhh ok then

yellowfin
    Participant

Was wondering what size hooks do you guys generally use to catch moki and Sevengill Sharks?

yellowfin
    Participant

For Seven Gills i would use quite big hooks around 10/0 but for moki use smaller hooks under 5/0

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members