Surfcasting at Kaikoura

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 80 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

good shit mate.did you get them at day time? Ive never caught a moki before I guess nows the time to go for them.Did you have any trouble finding some decent rocks to fish off? or was it off the beach?

yellowfin
    Participant

um i got a few during the day and a few at night

yellowfin
    Participant

score.some sick red cod by the sounds of it! new wharf? wheres that? I had a look at the beach in front of the railway station where they hold the surfcasting competition,looks pretty good.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i fished there a little bit um the new wharf is the one down by the fish factory

yellowfin
    Participant

oh yip i know now.did you use the flasher rigs in the end?

yellowfin
    Participant

nah didnt in the end aye

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey

yellowfin
    Participant

Im thinkin about headin down to Kaikoura one night this week for a night fish provided the weather stays kind,was just wondering if anyone has had much luck down the wharf after dark? I read you sometimes see coutas and moki around it.Im interested in hearin about any catches or pretty much any action thats been goin on after dark down them ways lately.

cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i went back up a month ago and fishing the new wharf after dark is quite good

yellowfin
    Participant

You got Blue cod off a wharf in Kaikoura? Cool! How long does it take to get to Kaikoura from Chch?

Another place I must go and fish, good to hear you got red cod to. Perhaps they aren’t just a winter only fish. I understand they spawn somewhere near July / August so perhaps the winter theory comes around something to do with that? Like they come into shallower water or something??

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

not too sure aye i was suprised to get the red cod as well although like they were over new years they wrre

yellowfin
    Participant

LOL, well hopefully the blue cod were of a good size then!

Interesting to hear about the Moki to, I’ve never caught a moki but they seem like something that is resonable sized and a good eating fish which is what you want.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Resonably sized I should say. Considering they can be caught from the shore.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea and moki are a great fight on a trout rod as well

yellowfin
    Participant

are blue moki a common catch at that wharf after dark or just luck of the draw sort of thing? ill give it a crack anyways.weathers holdin out,whats it doin down chch ways?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members