Surfcasting at Kaikoura

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 80 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

whats the use of flasher rigs like in the kaikoura area??? would it really aid me in catching more fish while surfcasting???

yellowfin
    Participant

Yellowfin,can we change this topic name? wasnt spose to be THE topic! lol :D

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Seaview Slayer,

That’s a good idea. How does Surfcasting at Kaikoura sound?

Yellowfin.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats better makes more sense!

yellowfin
    Participant

yea much more

yellowfin
    Participant

G’day Head,

The best way to find out if flasher rigs increase your catch rate or not is to simply try them.I dont tend to use them much for surfcasting mainly because with more than 1 hook its easier to snag them up.Nothing worse than hooking a good fish on 1 hook only to have the free hook snag up on retrieval!

I can say though that thanks to a quality flasher rig I got myself into the 20lb snapper club while fishing from rocks in the sounds last new years day.

Flasher rigs are probably best for low light conditions such as deep sea or glow in the dark ones for night fishing.But being colourful also helps to attract the fish and they can be deadly for kahawai and kingys etc.Also the smaller rigs can secure fresh bait fish without even baiting them up.

It is important to buy quality brand flasher rigs because SOME of the cheaper ones just simply pull apart.

Anyways it doesnt hurt to try different rigs all the time and who knows you mite have a day when nothing but the flasher/ledger rigs get touched!

Let us know how you get on. FISH ON ;)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi.

I just want to say good stuff for the awesome site!

Im a keen surfcaster and have only just discovered the choice beaches around the Kekerengu area and man I am yet to be dissapointed!

A couple of weeks back me and a buddy checked out this spot heading towards Kaikoura and mate not only did I catch my first sevengill shark,I landed 5 and my mate got 2 within about 3 hours! At one stage we even had a double hookup! I was up the beach a bit waiting to recover my mates sevengiller from the surf when I turned to see my rod bent like a staple and line peeling off! The old adrenalin kicks in when youve never caught sharks like these before, especially one after another!

All the sharks measured 5 to 7 feet in length and were all released quickly and wouldnt you believe it,it was the one day neither of us had the camera! :X

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Sevengiller

That’s just awesome! Well done. Full marks also for releasing them as well. There is no sense keeping them if you aren’t going to eat them! Pity about the camera but I’m sure you’ll catch another one

A mate of mine caught an eight foot sevengiller twenty odd years ago during the Nape Nape South Island Surfcasting Champs. Amazingly he came second in the fishing contest when someone further down the beach actually caught a bigger one

!

All I know about the Kaikoura Surfcasting Contest is that it is on 14 January 2007.

yellowfin
    Participant

what are the chances of catching blue cod off the beach of rcoks? if possible where would i be more likely to do this? i have heard that you are able to catch them off the

yellowfin
    Participant

That is a very good question. I read an interesting book about when the railway line south of Kaikoura was completed about 50 years ago. In those days crayfish and blue cod were amazingly plentiful. Huge numbers could be caught even in the shallows. There were certain spots that the rail gangs

yellowfin
    Participant

You may get em when you can cast 300m or more! lol :D

Kaikoura lions surfcasting contest – 14th Jan

Nape Nape surfcasting contest – 21st Jan

yellowfin
    Participant

yes i have since caught a whole bunch of blue cod off the beach at kaikoura along with half a dozen moki which i was happy to catch pleanty of kaiwhai were around just a pitty bout the weather the past fews up here

yellowfin
    Participant

Well done!

Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

sounds like you had a good haul! what bait were you taking the moki on?

yellowfin
    Participant

um a little bit of mussel and also blue mackeral which i though was weird

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members