Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 117 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 13 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Mel,
    I take it

yellowfin
    Participant

Do you just dangle your line amongst the kelp or do you cast ?

yellowfin
    Participant

dangle amongst the kelp seems to be the go

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi St Paul. Just wondering about the fishing at wakanui beach. What are all the species that you have caught there? I havnt fished there much but i have caught yellow eyed mullet, 1 kahwai, many many dogfish, school shark, red cod

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac,
    all of the above I only get to fish there once a week, but have caught good size greyboys. I have heard rig, eles, kahawai, mullet etc can all be caught there.
    I’ve also heard that various beaches to the south may be productive too. Just get out there and give it a go.

yellowfin
    Participant

St_paul –

yellowfin
    Participant

hey Zac,
    was talking to a joker fishing there last week he has had rig, eles and decent sized schoolies down there over the last few weeks.
    Apparently prawns seem to be the magic bait down there. I think countdown or fresh choice have them on special for $9.95 KG this week.

yellowfin
    Participant

I might try that out. I had the most success using yellow eyed mullet. I havnt been abl to get any yellow eyed mullet there for the past few weeks so i have been having to use squid. What was that guy catching with prawns?

yellowfin
    Participant

I am going up to new brighton peir this weekend so i will spend the whole day stocking up on yellow eyed mullet.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rig, Grey Boy and Eles. and they were the precooked type too

yellowfin
    Participant

I might try that out. But i dont think it will be better than fresh yellow eyed mullet. Are the eles you are talking about Congers or just normal eles. And were abouts at wakanui beach was this guy fishing, streight in front of the main park bit or further down to the river mouth or further north?

yellowfin
    Participant

Congers?? that would be a completely different kettle of fish (so to speak)
    and all over the place, admittedly he’s a Gun caster and gets out probably 100 – 150 metres. If ya happen to see him watch him cast and don’t be afraid to ask for some pointers

yellowfin
    Participant

we used to cast

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members