Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 117 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah, i was hoping to catch some blue cod

yellowfin
    Participant

tiodes dont look to bad for fishing bluff this weekend

yellowfin
    Participant

Quite a range of fish can be caught there from what i have heard and seen. barracuda, red cod, blue cod, various sharks, skate, stingray, gurnard, conger eel, carpet shark.

yellowfin
    Participant

I will probably be just fishing in the day but i might get a chance to fish till dark

yellowfin
    Participant

yea fished the wharf at stewart island

yellowfin
    Participant

What were you catching with blue cod for bait?

yellowfin
    Participant

alot of different fish all in one night we caught trumpeter,terikhi,blue cod, red cod,baracouda,ling,moki and about a 15 kg schoolie oh and star fish lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds good. But i would rather be eating the blue cod than using it for bait. But if it is catching all that then it would be worth it. What sort of rig and size hooks were you using to catch all those?

yellowfin
    Participant

I have seen an octopus caught off the bluff wharf, that would be good for bait. But it would be an unlikely catch

yellowfin
    Participant

using 3 hook ledger rigs with

yellowfin
    Participant

How deep was the water you were fishing in?

yellowfin
    Participant

ocitpus are alot easier to catch than

yellowfin
    Participant

well u can clearly see them bottom during the day until about half tide yet it would still b 2 or 3 m deep at low tide so id say 8 or 9 m mayb

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds like good fishing over on sterwart island. Hopefully the fishing is that good opff the bluff wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

day times good fishing also not as good as night but you can see you bait and see whats about to take it so if you see a fish yopu dont want to catch when it comes up to ur line u just pull it out the way thats ho i caught the trumpeter on my spinning rod with sabiki rigs just saw the trumpeter swimming round so bounced my sabiki in front of their noses and

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members