Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

although the mullet at the mouth all seem to be alot smaller than up stream

yellowfin
    Participant

I caught a massive mullet once off the New Brighton Peir that was around 2kg. I was using chicken heart for bait and size 10 hooks

yellowfin
    Participant

I think any heart works good for bait because i have used chicken heart and ox heart and you are saying sheep heart is good. But mullet take almost anything

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats true

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve also caught them on bread, sweetcorn (only the canned whole kernel stuff but), cheese and dog roll.

yellowfin
    Participant

caught them in my hands before that was fun standing in the river and a huge school swims up and ya

yellowfin
    Participant

how many people are usually in this contest on sunday? and what sort of prizes are there? what what sorta fish usually get caught during the comp?

yellowfin
    Participant

so many questions ;)

normally a lot less than at the amberley or nape nape contests, kahawai, rig, school

yellowfin
    Participant

to you blokes that fish the pier often of have in the past are barracouda how ever you want to spell it are they an often catch

yellowfin
    Participant

Barracuda are usually easy to catch off the peir if you are targeting them with a float rig and a whole dead or live yellow eyed mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

i was more suprise

yellowfin
    Participant

I have seen a few caught by people targeting sharks ect with just a ledger rig

yellowfin
    Participant

the weather still isnt looking great for friday 4m swells

yellowfin
    Participant

I am hoping the weather is all good down south because i wil be spending the weekend fishing off the bluff wharf

yellowfin
    Participant

oh right yea ive seen alot of people fishing off the whrafves there while ive been waiting to board the ferry to cross the straight

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.