Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Head, lets hope that southerly thats predicted for friday is all blown out by sunday aye. seems to be almost the same weather pattern we had leading into the weekend a fortnight ago and the fishing was cracker! I’ll definitely be there somewhere along the spit will wait and see what the weather does before I decide if I’ll fish at baileys or birdlings.

Zac, have you fished much further back up the coast? have had some good days at pendarves down the end of west kyle road where ya walk down the gully to the bottom of the cliffs. Also coopers lagoon and Taumutu can be brilliant for ele’s and rig.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea heard about the southerly hpe it doesnt turn up hav to head out on sat and stock up on mullet but that should only take um mayb 5 min to get enough to last the whole day with the area i catch bait

yellowfin
    Participant

bugger don’t know what the heck happened there, has managed to triple post….

yellowfin
    Participant

[user=108]St_paul[/user]

yellowfin
    Participant

Head, can ya still catch plenty of mullet in the kaiapoi river down by the tuhoi? Granddad used to take us kids down there to catch bait for his expeditions many moons ago

yellowfin
    Participant

um to tell you the truth i havent fished off the kaiapoi wharf for about 3 years myself too many boats are tied up there now

yellowfin
    Participant

its good fun to catch them on a lil trout rod

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah I’ve seen a few salmon caught by jokers using pilchards under floats down by the bmx track. might pop out and see if I can get some fresh mullet before the comp, thanks for the tip.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea incomming tide is best as it is with alot of places and pretty much anything works for bait i use little pieces of pillie but like lambs heart works well to and is slightly

yellowfin
    Participant

always used to find that a paste of bread and tasty cheese used to work as kids but will give the heart a go.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea there are some well what i would call large mullet there

yellowfin
    Participant

crikey! 2kg thats a monster mullet! Were you fishing up near the camp ground or further down towards the mouth?

yellowfin
    Participant

camping ground just under on of the big sets of trees

yellowfin
    Participant

Last time I fished there those Bl**dy shags turned my car white! were you using pillie for bait or the lambs heart?

yellowfin
    Participant

using the pillie and bonito cause its what i had lying in my freezer the eel was caught on pillie guts

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.