Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 117 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

yea im of new school but still occasionaly work in kgs etc.im planning on entering the competition but

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll probably be there depending on the weather, I usually use kahle or octopus circle hooks as the fish tend to hook themselves on these. Just make sure that you are leaving plenty of hook point clear.
    weight of sinker depends on current, usually 4 – 6oz breakaway sinkers (the ones with legs!) 8 oz is pretty huge!
    You can pick up anchovies from pak n save normally about $5 a kg, layer them in sea salt for 48 hrs to help them toughen up.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i use recurve hooks or octopus hooks and around a 4 oz breakout sinker

yellowfin
    Participant

Hello, just been out today (sunday), caught my first good size fish, another rig, I guess it was about 2-3kg. Not huge but its a start. Went to the beach near Rakia Hutts.

Was using squid, and rapt sum elastic cotton round the bait. It seemed to stay on hook much better. Was very costly tho,

yellowfin
    Participant

was It a rig or a school shark? unusual to catch rig on anything other than crab or crayfish bait. can you post a picture?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah. It sounds more like a school shark. Ive never heard of rig on squid. It is possible but its more

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m not an expert on catching rig, so it may be trus that its unusual to see them caught on squid, but here’s a picture of one which was caught on squid at the Brighton pier. I don’t know the guy who caught it, I just took a photo of him because I had never seen a rig caught at the time. Incidentally, the water was rough and dirty that day and he cought it off the end of the pier, but right at the base of the pylons.

My brother in law used to fish the pier a lot and tells me that he caught the occaisional rig using squid too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Oops, didn’t realise that the picture was so small. here is a better shot.

yellowfin
    Participant

cool! Thats a nice rig!

have heard that a great bait for rig are cray bodies, available cheaply from pak n save on moorhouse ave.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea ive caught alot of rig on squid before and a few on bonito havnt tried cray bait for them yet but will start using it soon

yellowfin
    Participant

St_paul

yellowfin
    Participant

Just out of interest were they all from the pier? I know there are a lot of crab about out there and wonder if perhaps they are mobbing your bait and the rig are capitalising on this and becoming hooked in the process.

yellowfin
    Participant

no actually none were from the pier i very rarely fish the pier

yellowfin
    Participant

cool, mind you same thing could be happening in either location. have managed to foul hook + land sizable crabs at both those beaches.
    Mind you I have caught ele’s on squid tubes and everyone reckons they’ll

yellowfin
    Participant

yea exactly the reason i dont fish the pier is

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members