Surfcasting at Birdling Flat, Canterbury, S.I. New Zealand

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 117 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

[size=84:6zr999yx]I’m often asked, “Where are the best places to go surfcasting around Canterbury?” My usual answer is that the best surfcasting is to be found south of Banks Peninsula between Birdlings Flat and South Rakaia Huts. These are steeply shelving shingle beaches with a sudden drop-off into deep water, whereas north of Banks Peninsula the beaches are generally shallow and sandy. You’ll need a long rod of at least 12 feet and I prefer 25 lb line to cope with stone bruising.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have to say I am very impressed with this site, Im just new to surfcasting and was looking at going out this weekend. Will now look at Birdlings Flat. Just wanting to know if anyone has been there lately and what the conditions were like, baits used etc. Any more excellent reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Keep it up Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Unhygenix,

Many thanks for your comments about the site.

I don’t know if you are

yellowfin
    Participant

Hello everyone,:dude::dude:

Have just had a weekend packed full of fishing at Birdlings flat. I am new to this game so it was more a “trial and error” weekend. I bought a 15ft surfcater and egg beater reel to suit, I think it was with a 28 pound line (does that sound right?).[i:ax0wyc8v]

yellowfin
    Participant

Hello. What were you wanting to catch? The best bait for most things is freshly caught Yellow eyed mullet(herring),They are very easy to catch if you make or buy a sabiki rig with size 10 hooks and tiny peices of chicken heart for bait. Then you can use the yellow eyed mullet for catching anything from kahawai to seven gillers. Kahawai also make good bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

:dude::dude:

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi. If you go to the fishing shop and ask for a sabiki rig with size 10 hooks or smaller you can get one from there and then see what it looks like and then make your own. Yes you can get chicken hearts from countdown or any other supermarket like woolworths, if there isnt any ox heart will do. The yellow eyed mullet that you catch with the sabiki rigs can be used for bait for kahawai and other things, and to catch these just use a three hook ledger rig. I dont think you will catch a blue cod in the area you are fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a great day at birdlings on Monday, got 4 kahawai all 3 kilos plus, a decent sized school shark and an electric ray(had no Idea what the hell it was so had to look it up in the fish book when I got home!)

The annual surfcasting comp run by the little river hotel social club is on the 18th of Feb from 7 – 4 $10 entry.

yellowfin
    Participant

WICKED! What were you using as bait?

yellowfin
    Participant

How do I sign up for fishing comp? Just turn up?

yellowfin
    Participant

Squid stuffed with anchovies, and you just turn up on the day to register.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds very exotic bait! I use squid too a bit, but the fish keeo taking it without getting hooked….! Damm fish, could I prehaps have the qrong size hook? I am using siz 9 I think. What about sinkers, I am using 8pound. is that too much? I might go out today (sat) weather not the best tho.

yellowfin
    Participant

i think u might mean 8 oz no 8 pound mayb 8 pound sounds like a heavey sinker lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes you are probably right. I am in the “metric” era. Not this old imperial jargon, so forgive me.

why cant it be in grams and kg etc etc.

And why are hook sizes up the clappers too, a small hook is a high number and a big hook is low number?

Confusing!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi, Just been out didnt get anything. Does anyone else go out to Birdlings Flat regulary? That would be willing to give us amaturs a hand? What in the comp coming up on the 18th. Anyone goin to enter?

Scottie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members