Super Kobras

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone have knowledge of Super Kobra trout lures. Are they still made? Are they still imported and sold into New Zealand?

I know they were made in Tasmania by Johnson Super Lures and imported into New Zealand by Draper Tackle, Taupo.

There were, according to an old

yellowfin
    Participant

Smart Tackle are the New Zealand importers of Johnson Super Kobra Lures. They plan to soon have them available for sale over the internet.

Allan Burgess

yellowfin
    Participant
    Many anglers make “improvements” to their trout fishing lures. They just can’t bring themselves to fish with it “straight out of the packet.” I must admit to suffering from this affliction myself. The Tillins Cobras that I use for both casting and trolling are a good example of this need to fiddle with the product.
    Many anglers, me included, do away with the brass through wire and treble supplied with the lure. The next step is to replace the treble with a chemically sharpened shingle. I feel certain that this change alone improves the hook-up rate. A further improvement is to attach the single hook to a split-ring. Then a small swivel can also be added to prevent line twist.
    You can if you prefer tie the line directly to the hook. In this case a small plastic bead is placed on the line first to prevent the eye of the hook getting stuck in the lure.
    These improvements add extra life to the Cobra, and allow the lure to slide down the line out of the way when a trout is hooked.
    If these improvements still don’t do it for you the next step is to dress the single hook either to match or contrast with the lure. In this guise the single is known as a teaser!
    Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

seen some for sale in ashburton last week

yellowfin
    Participant

I think smiths city stock these at the colombo street store.

I have found the the tassie devil lures are pretty good too and theres a huge range of colours/patterns available.

I’ve found the silver model with red and green spots has been great for kahawai as well as trout.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

what yellowfin said is good i do that a lot now so when a fish takes the lure it slides up the line leaving it little leverage to swing the hook out of its mouth, with the weight of the lure gone.

And you could also put a fluorescent bead in front of the tazzie/cobra; might help after dark?

yellowfin
    Participant

are these also like tassies i believe that you can put them in warm or hot water and then kinda bend thm into a slightly different curve tosuit how you rather fish? i remember doing that with a tassie i had a while ago

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yes i belive so…. i have heard of that being done though no personal experience

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Bend it more if you are fishing deep water then you don’t have to reel as fast and it can go near the bottom, although if its a shallow weedy spot, I wouldn’t use these lures anyway, though they cast for miles and are great for blind fishing deep water.

My favourites would be, the Gold one with a red stripe and black dots, and the rainbow trout one with green on top silver on the bottom a red stripe in between and black stripes through the green top

fishsnatcher
    Participant

For some reason Super Kobras are in short supply at the tackle stores atm, which is a shame, and the of the lures they do have the only one I want is sold out, so have ordered some in no idea when they’ll arrive though…. :roll:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members