Summer Fishing Over!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Well Im thinking that the summer of fishing is pretty much over. Think I may pack away the surf caster, look at a new rod and reel for next year over winter. Although I still will probably hit up Kaikoura acouple of times over the next couple months.

What do you fish in winter??

yellowfin
    Participant

went to the mak today the fishing was totally crap got about 15 mullet and 2 small kaiwhai .

Miliwolf
    Participant

Only been catching red cod, KY still around. Have not caught any snapper for a while.

St_Paul
    Participant

Snapper should still be about in the sounds and around Nelson, Dawn and dusk on a fullish tide should fire.. Generally my winter fishing has been all trout in lakes, bloody cold it is too.
    Looking at moving to blenheim in the next month or so, will be interesting to see whats about.

Miliwolf
    Participant

You should be right St Paul, The Snapper would be around until atleast april. Just a streak of bad luck I suspect.

If you do move up to Blem it would open up a few more options fishing wise. You would still have the sharks on the east coast beaches like cloudy bay, Seaview, Marfells….. Although you might lose Elephant fish.

But the main advantage would be the ‘sounds’ and all of the ‘warmer water’ species. So Snapper and Kingfish would replace Elephant fish and Salmon.

St_Paul
    Participant

Yeah, have spent quite a bit of time up that way already. Not super keen on salmon fishing so wouldn’t miss that. and who wouldn’t want to swap snapper for ele’s :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

I always wanted to catch a elephant fish…. I was thinking of heading south to try and catch one this year but decided to postpone it for another year.

yellowfin
    Participant

I went out to Dorie Beach last weekend and didn’t even get any dogfish. That was probably the only time this year I haven’t caught anything at all. After that I don’t think I will go out again until the Red Cod start being caught in good numbers. Hopefully they will be around in bigger numbers this year. I remember last year Skate were still being caught around this time and through Winter.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ill probably go up to Kaikoura over easter for a fish. Other than that, not really to interested in much else other than pouring over reviews etc about new gear to get before next summer! :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might be the only one who is still trying to get the most out of the remaining warm weather..

Hoping to hit French pass on Saturday, and hopefully give Kaikouria a fish on Sunday. The tides are at a convenient time of day. I would be happy if I get to one of the two spots this weekend…

I would love to find time to go trout fish :(, maybe friday afterwork :)

yellowfin
    Participant

im considering the same as well steve o im thinking kaikoura as well but not 100% sure yet

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was planning on heading down towards haast over easter… fishing a selection of surf and fresh. But my sister is getting married on Easter Sunday so that makes a long trip difficult.

Hoping to go down to Kaikouria for at-least a day, if only to escape the house and my parents over reacting about getting everything ready on time.

yellowfin
    Participant

What? over already? I hardly had a chance to go fishing. I’ve got next week off work and am thinking about possibly going fishing somewhere in the south island. Any recommendations? I was thinking of possibly the top or bottom of the south island. Kaikoura hasn’t been kind to me.

Miliwolf
    Participant

You could head west….. haast, grey mouth ect….

The sounds is still producing Snapper.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea head to the coast maybe north of westport towards mokinuhi or karamea? or bluff/stewart island just to be different

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.