Spinning reel on a fly rod.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

Ive got a Okuma 6wt fly rod which has sat in the shed never used for 6 years. Was thinking it would make a good light weight spin rod, Was going to put a small reel with 4lb line and use it for trout fishing. Anyone tried spin reels on a fly rod?

Also anyone know what line kg rating a fly 6wt rod would Eg 1-3,2-4,3-5?

yellowfin
    Participant

Ask Kevo, he often uses a spin reel on fly rod, unsure onthe weight of his rod or line though, Maybe 4kg would be ok dunno really

Anonymous

Had a mate in Colorado that would run a spinner on a fly rod. Looked funny to me, but he did alright with it. He could cast like the devil with it. But you gotta remember, it’s not about how many fish you catch, its how good you look doing it!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah, I had a few casts using spinners with the fly rod in the park a few weeks ago and could cast for miles easily 30-40% more distance than I could ever get with the spinning rod. But then found out that Braid and mono cuts up fly rod guides really bad so haven’t bothered since.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members