Spinning for Kahawai

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi all, this may sound like a silly question for many, but was wondering what weight and type of spinners guys/gals use when spinning for kahawai? or find successful?? And what time of the tide do you find to have the most success.

This is one species that i funnily struggle to secure and was just interested in hearing of hints or tips from others willing to share thankx.

I did get one step closer last night, managed to hook one on a 28 gram silver spinner but it managed to throw the hook at my feet, then a couple of seals showed up in the mouth of the river so that put an end to that.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have had kahawai on every thing from a little 7g hex or toby all the way up to 200g jigs,
    The standard 85g hex are always in the tackle bag.

Try to vary the retrieve with the lure going slower or faster or Both if you just crank it in at the same speed all the time your only working one section of the water .

St_Paul
    Participant

I generally fish 20gm silver hex ticers on a 6lb spin set at the diversion. If they follow but don’t take remove or add the red tag. Smaller lures will generally catch more fish, you can also vary the retrieve or try a back and forth sweeping action with the rod tip whilst winding in.
    The rivers gonna be buggered again for a couple of days, big rain up the waihopai valley again>
    Tide wise normally last 2 hours of incoming to first 2 hours of outgoing.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Thanks for the pointers guys.

yellowfin
    Participant

When there’s big schools around you’ll catch them on anything. Just cast into or near the school and you’ll be on. One time at the Rangitata mouth there was a big school of kahawai really close in, and all I had was like a plain silver 20gm spoon lure that I could hardly cast 10 meters and still managed 4 kahawai with others lost.

PierMaster
    Participant

I use 55gm silver hex works perfectly get the odd barracouta as well lol

HookLineSinker
    Participant

PierMaster

Miliwolf
    Participant

I trend towards lighter lures but have caught heaps on heavier ones. Best to use a lure weight which is a good match for your rod. Could also try Flys because the Kahawai prefer them at times, this thread shows a easy way to cast them out.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=539

Another trick is to tie on a sabiki rig between the mainline and lure, can be highly effective at times but can also result in impressive tangles.

At first Kahawai seem to be easy fish to target which would eat almost anything, this is true. But the more I learn about their patterns they more confused I have become. I personally now beleive that the Kahawai do not care much for the tides but their habits are more based around salinity conditions. When the rivers are in flood they hang far offshore during all tides, when the water clears with moderate flows they start to push in with the incoming tide and leave with the start of the outgoing.. When river flows are extremely slow, they seem to spend most of their time in the river only returning to the mouth over low. But, Kahawai do what they want to do when they want to do it so nothing is certain.

fishforpot
    Participant

I recall many years ago , ECAN or whoever were doing research into water flow etc in regards to outflow from the Kaiapoi sewerage plant into the waimac

We were in the surf catching kahawai on the outgoing tide , and they sent red dye down the river …….the whole river and sea turned reddy pink , it was freaky

The kahawai didnt care a bit , just kept surfing into the river on the waves ….they looked a browny blue against the pink ……

Miliwolf
    Participant

Catching a few at the diversion mouth recently, have not seen much action in the river proper but they seem to be feeding off the mouth.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Are Salmon still caught in the Wairau and what sort of numbers, size etc.
    I guess it is relative to the number of rods, and I suspect few would try.
    Also what is the river like for trout and whitebait upstream a bit in the slower water?
    Looks very like the Kaiapoi although I suspect it would be a helluva lot clearer.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Salmon are caught, but have heard very little about them this year. I have spent hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours fishing at the bars and never seen one caught there. Most days there might be a dozen people fishing at the mouths, on the weekend that can increase 5 fold. Most seem to be caught further up river, people who put the hours in seem to catch a few but it seems like a lot of work for very little reward. I caught mine up near the wash bridge about this time of year but it was a few years back.

They are mostly smaller then 10lb I beleive, I think F&G surveys suggest 2-300 hundred enter the river on a good year.

The lower reaches of the river between the Estuary and the rapids can hold large numbers of trout, they often get up to good sizes. Clarity is variable.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Excellent reply Mili, looked at a property near the river and was excited about the prospects of being closeby and covering all bases that serve my interests the best, in regards to preferred fishing methods. Trout Salmon Whitebait and of course the Sounds!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have heard of a old retired guy with a real passion for salmon fishing and he spent most of his free time targeting them on the river. Was told the story a few years back and the details have become blurred but I beleived he caught around 5 salmon a year from the Wairau. Have no idea how that compares with the rivers further south. Last summer heard of a trout angler who spent a lot of time on the river, he caught several hundred trout but also a couple of Salmon.

The other Salmon option is to fish the Clarence which is about a hour to the south. Have spent very little time at that river but have seen a couple of Salmon caught, one from the surf and another far upstream. Most days during the summer there is a few keen salmon anglers at the mouth chasing them so they must be there, or try for them off the beach at Kaikoura during the spring.

Whitebait, like anything to do with fishing their numbers are right down but it is normally possible to catch a feed. Large runs do occur a few days a year where it is possible to catch many kg’s of them.

St_Paul
    Participant

I saw two landed at the diversion last year, largest one just shy of 16lb. Hooked a larger one in the surf on 6lb.
    Have seen 2 fish moving up river this year.
    Hopefully a nice wee fresh will see some more moving up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.