Spearing flounders

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I have thought about it a couple of times, and tried on occasion but without much luck. Does anyone have any advice?

Think it could be quite fun…. With daylight saving coming to a end and the summer fish nearly gone could be a interesting winter activity.

Has anyone tried spearing flounders in Marlborough? The mud flats in the sounds should be quite productive.

yellowfin
    Participant

funny you say thi mili cause im intending on doing a bit of floundering this year myself both line and spearing im trying to organise to get a spear and light . already have set ups known for catching them on a line so shouldnt be too hard . from reading in fishing mags flounder season is kinda comming up well not season but when they are around more. and seeing on black magic fishing they showed some at the waimak mouth and in saltwater creek

Miliwolf
    Participant

I hope they are more common during the winter, because the fishing is so slow outside of the summer months.

Would only have spearfishing otherwise and maybe yaking for blue cod. Red cod fail to excite me.

yellowfin
    Participant

Lagoon at Waikuku/Ashley River mouth productive as well & quite shallow, took my kids up there a couple of years ago they had a great time & we got some good fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Dad tried a dragnet over at Le Bons bay a couple of weekends ago. got about 7 after a couple of sweeps of the beach.
    I know alot of guys used to row out in dinghys over the mudflats in Akaroa harbour. Hang a submersible light over the side and spear them as they spotted them..
    Saves getting your boots stuck in the mud and stirring up the water too much.

We used to spear them in one of the local creeks in the harbour too.. We’d just make a spear out of a length of metal rod. No barbs or anything.. Whack a wooden handle on one end and away we went..
    best advice is to wait for the calmest night you can. no wind to ripple up the water.. makes it so much easier to spot the little camoflage buggers…

I’ve always thought about using a bow and arrow from the dinghy, have a bit of line attached to the arrow and try shooting them while standing. Dont know if it would work but it sounded like fun :lol:

I’d say the linkwater end of queen charlotte could be a goer. Maybe around some of the little creeks etc that run into the sounds.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent 40 minutes with a powerful head torch searching the mud flat in front of Thompson bay in the grove. Sea was calm and there was no breeze, High tide. Only saw 1 flounder the entire time and a decent size eagle ray.

oompalompa
    Participant

GMAN2907

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.