Spam Forum Disappointment

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

This fantastic forum has become a space for freeloading spammers.

[b:1piwltwf]There is nothing worse than piracy on the forums and I feel its about time the management stopped it.[/b:1piwltwf]

No other forum gets as hammered as much this and it is obvious the neccessary must be installed.

Come on guys, how about that spam filter or at least appoint a couple of new moderators who can eliminate the crap as it hits.

It is apparrent the current admin is not on here enough to see it otherwise the smear campaign would be gone ages ago.

I have personally reported these attacks several times to no avail and yes Allan, I know you should go fishing too, thats when they attack the most mate!

Three days of spamming…NOT good enough!

rdeejay
    Participant

Sorry about the delay, i’m on to it now.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Spoke with Yellowfin yesterday and he shares the same frustration as posted here.
    I note however, upon this mornings “waiting for the kettle to boil” check of this forum, yet again some Asian Imposter has hammered the site.
    I have never seen such continuous attacks and hope it all stops soon so we can all find the topics we want to read without wading through unsolicited crap.

rdeejay
    Participant

I try to keep on top of it as much as i can but no sooner i wipe out one lot it gets spammed again so i got pissed off the other day and started banning the whole ip range of the spammers…oops though i banned people that shouldn’t of been as well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Apart from constant human monitoring their is no fail safe way to prevent all spam. Captcha might slow them down, but they slow down humans even more.

A monitored signup procedure can work, that is when new members have to write a sensible message explaining why they should join and then their membership is confirmed by a moderator. This gets rid of most computer scripts and should greatly reduce the number of “Human Spamers”, espically the ones with a poor understanding of English. Fairly certain that the phpBB supports this feature. But there are other mods which would make it significantly harder for the bots to sign up without forcing the admin to approve all new members, I suspect something like the Registration Auth Code would be a good start. Plus I hate having to wait to have my membership confirmed…..

Certain yellowfin and the other mods have a good idea already on whats available but this could be useful.
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=427852

I am not overly bothered with the spam and never report it anymore, the moderators seem to do a good job and it is normally gone within a few hours and it is easy enough to identify a new spammer post from a real one.

yellowfin
    Participant

Simple captcha or question added to the registration page should 100% stop any bots from signing up. Simple “what is 4 + 4” or “what colour is red” questions will stop them from signing up because they’re only bots not people.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=472940

There’s plenty of methods on the page miliwolf posted that would work.

This has been discussed multiple times and solutions been given but nothing has been done.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

We had a very shortlived hit on our site forum a while ago and a simple call to the host had them put a scrambled puzzle on the registration page and there ended the problem. NEVER saw it again.
    We have rebuilt it on our main site and still no worries at all.
    It is a very simple add in, just a couple of clicks and it is there. Brilliant!
    Occasionally, some clever dick may push his own product into the posts but that we jump on when we offer to charge them for their advert. They just get the 30 seconds treatment…. we spray and they walk away! LOL!

Miliwolf
    Participant

This forum already has a Captcha. Captchas are old technology and there are many bots which are designed to answer them, I remember reading a few months back there are Bots which answer captchas correctly more often then humans.
    Simple questions can reduce numbers but there are Bots which would correctly answer very simples ones, a slightly more unique question would block 99% of them I suspect.

FIshy Bishy, just checked your scramble puzzle and that would not stop some of the newer Bots.

Then there are human spammers like these two guys which are difficult to block.
    https://fishingmag.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=470

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishy Bishy

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

It is simple and I wish my site had it this way.
    Mandatory fields identifying all the member’s details including their name location, email address, etc etc etc. If these fields are all mandatory as they are on fishing.net for example this eliminates near 100% of all attacks.
    These spammers want to peddle their cause without being exposed.
    Give the buggers a way in and they all follow for some wierd reason.
    It’s like they all communicate with each other, unless they are all the same one identitiy maybe??
    re Miliwolf’s comment/observation on another forum I am involved with up here, we haven’t had any spam of the nature of wht we all experienced here in recent weeks, ever. We have run the forum off our site for nearly 4 years now.
    We have had a few clowns trying to advertise their wares in their posts but they are simply squashed in no time.
    We also suggest they pay for the advertising privilege but we never hear back.
    By handing the admin access to one or two other members who are about the board more regularly a greater monitoring of the board is the end result and spammers are eliminated from all angles.
    That was suggested eariler, by the way.
    The trick is to appoint the extra forum police but don’t announce who they are.

yellowfin
    Participant

Extra mandatory fields such as location and a few other things should work as spam bots wouldn’t be designed to fill in these fields so that would mean they could never sign up. The majority of spam are bots that automatically sign up to forums and post spam, the other few are human but I’ve only seen a few of them on here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.