Southland surfcasting and rock fishing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi, I am heading to the deep south this Xmas – what are the species and hot spots??

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi re10,

I have caught blue moki aboard the Takaroa II in Foveaux Strait – there are plenty there
    . They are also caught by land based anglers during the big Stabi Craft Fishing Tournament held out of Bluff each year. You have a very good chance of catching a blue moki from the rocks. You need to find a good ledge preferably with deep water in front of it. Many of these spots have a lot of kelp in front of them so you need a bit of reconnaissance to find the really good spots. You might ask at the local tackle store if they can send you in the right direction. I know of one at Bluff. You have to follow the track to the right past the famous road sign in the carpark!
    You can also catch trumpeter there as well. You need clear water for trumpeter and moki. They don’t like it when the sea is rough.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi

I have fished the wharf at Bluff in 2005 and it fished pretty good. I caught some good blue cod, a red cod, a gurnard, a conger, a carpet shark, some good skate and stingray estimated at 140 lb. If you get chance to fish the wharf have go there is a good variety and for bait I only used pilchards and squid.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have been fishing a couple of times on the Bluff wharf. The last time i was there for just a couple of hours i

yellowfin
    Participant

I just remembered that the last time i was fishing off the bluff wharf someone caught an octopus

fishsnatcher
    Participant

when someone who doesnt want octopus catches one, always take a picture of their face :lol:

for instance look at this pic https://fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting-kaikoura%20octopus.htm

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol… me old man [when he was younger] used to go spearing blue cod and greenbone off his special rock in southland [near tuatapere] 4m aliminuim spear :)
    water was only about 3m-5 deep.
    Probably can’t do that any more…. :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.