South Island: Where to go on mid February?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Guys!.

My name is Emilio. I come from Spain, where we have some good trout and salmon fishing in the Northern rivers.

I usually fish trout with wet fly, and sometimes spinning. An usual method used in my

Miliwolf
    Participant

To freshwater fish in New Zealand you would need to buy a licence, they are about $90NZD for a whole season.

The best salmon fishing is probably in Canterbury. The size and number of fish in the rivers can be quite erratic over the course of the season.

The south island has many excellent trout waters. If you were only after trout fishing a good place to base yourself would be the town of Murchison. From there you are less then a hour drive away from around 5 highly regarded rivers, and less then 20 minutes from several.

For a combination of trout and salmon, the town of Methven on the Canterbury plains would be worth considering. The town is situated halfway between the rakaia and rangitata rivers which I believe have good Salmon runs. Methven is fairly close to the high country and good trout rivers and lakes.

It might pay to get the service of a fishing guide early on in your jounery. That should quickly get you up to speed with fishing for New Zealand trout. Your plan to base yourself in a single area for period of time would give you a good chance to learn the rivers and increase the chance of success.

With your bubble float idea, the New Zealand regulations limit the number of flys to 3 at any one time.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Here are a few good looks

Good fishing guide site, give breif over views of many rivers.
    http://www.nzfishing.com/

Fish and Game – Freshwater regulation body
    http://www.fishandgame.org.nz

yellowfin
    Participant

Thank´s Miliwolf. You´ve been most helpfull. The towns of Methven and Murchinson seem good places to start exploring. I´ve been lookig at them in the NZfishing.com and both of them offer nice fishing areas and accomodation. Perhaps Murchinson looks more beautiful.

Any more ideas?

Miliwolf
    Participant

They are both quite scenic, Murchinson is in a dairy farming valley surrounded by forested hills.

While Methven is on the flat Canterbury plains but with the back drop of the highly impressive southern alps. Methven is a sking resort during the winter so has plenty of accommodation. About 40 minutes west of Methven is the ashburtons lake and the scenery there is stunning.

The Mataura River in Southland has a excellent reputation. There are several good rivers in that area. Fiordland to the west offers excellent wilderness fishing. I have never fished that area, but I suspect the towns of Gore and Te Anau are quite central.

Central Otago also has a good reputation. There are many areas which can produce.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thank´s again Miliwolf. I´ve read your PM. With all these places you´ve mentioned I have a point to start searching.

Cheers!:D

fishsnatcher
    Participant

central otago if you fish on any of the canals use a live bait on a weight directly off the dam. In some places you will catch small, farmed salmon that have escaped, but mostly trout.

Waitaki and Rakaia river for salmon, January through to March are the best times so youwould be right in the middle.
    Waitaki has some of the biggest salmon, maybe the biggest in New Zealand.
    Go spinning at the mouth with silver chizel [silver hexagon-wobler].

yellowfin
    Participant

Doh.
    Just replied without realising Emilio was asking about Feb 2008, so post edited.
    :?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Lol don’t worry i did the same thing if you look at them time I last posted on this thread

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.