South Island Off-shore Fishing in June?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

My wife and I are heading over for 3 weeks in June. We’re both keen estuary fishers and occasionally head outside off the northern NSW (Australian) coast. We won’t be bringing any gear of our own so we’re looking for all options especially decent charter boats. Any help would be great! Cheers, Ian

Miliwolf
    Participant

June is getting quite cold so not to many fish about. You might have a bit of luck chasing Groper but they are mainly pulling up a heavy weight.

Barracouta could be about in massive number which are fun but not good for eating.

The Bluefin tuna might be about off the westcoast, that is real big game fishing. Not 100% sure when they arrive or leave.

Yakkaman
    Participant

What part of the country you heading to if you get hold of a good 10 weight fly rod you can heaps of fun.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for your help. We’ve got 3 weeks and no set itinery, so we might just try one of the charter boats. Fly fishing sounds like fun too but we’ll be travelling pretty light.

Yakkaman
    Participant

If it is ocean fishing your mostly keen on Ian then i suggest North Island you can get fantastic fishing from this area.
    I assume you will travel by Camper van? Then from Auckland you will a fantastic time heading down work round the tides and still shop with the wifey lol.

http://www.northlandkayak.org.nz/
    This is a well organised club also check out Tauranga, ninety mile beach and others can fill in the gaps between.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.