Published On:

Soft Plastics for Sea-run Trout

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

I know that some anglers are using soft-baits for sea-run trout fishing in Canterbury. In the lower Waimakariri River they can be fished much the same as a feathered lure. If you buy your feathered lures instead of tying your own then the price would be much the same if fishing soft-baits. In the Waimakariri River you won’t need much weight 1/16 to 1/12 ounce would be about all that’s required when fishing braid on a light spinning outfit. I’d say three inch soft baits would be as big as you would need. For the lower Rakaia River braids the same weight gear would be about right. For the Rakaia River gut you would need a bit more weight possibly up to 1/4 ounce. However as the water slackens with the incoming tide there should be scope to drive soft-bait minnow shads downstream canal style. What do you guys think. Any tips on fishing soft-baits for sea-run trout? :grin:

smells like fish
    Participant

do youthink braid is necessary?Or braid with a mono leader to take up some tension?

yellowfin
    Participant

The big advantage of braid is that it is going to sink much faster than mono. Therefore you will need a lighter jig head than you would with monofilament. I’d use a rod length or so of mono for a leader. Nowadays I see anglers fishing for sea-run brown trout at river mouths with all manner of soft and hard bodied lures where once everyone fished with feathered lures or small metal spoons. These lures certainly catch sea-runs. I suspect that some methods of fishing soft baits for sea-run trout will be more effective than others. For example feathered lures like Hopes or Yellow-Rabbits are always cast across fast water and retrieved. Perhaps it’s possible to drift fish soft-bait minnows, that might represent a silvery, downstream effectively, or a combination of drift and retrieve, in the right water?

shark slayer
    Participant

a leader is unnecessary..I always [list=][/list]run braid strait to my gear for salmon kahawai and searuns and I catch alot..everyone seems to think you need a leader or the fish won’t hit your lure or you will bust off..to much Malcolm bell video watching I think :lol: ..just remember braid has no stretch so when the fish hits or you feel weight a lift of the rod tip is all you need to set the hook..no over the top excessive striking like you see alot of salmon fisherman doing is required..imo dragon softbaits are the leaders of the softbait market at the moment..way better action than Berkley s..I also find c point jigheads to be far better than the Berkley jigheads which seem to bend easy and are easy to lose fish on,the exception is the saltwater Berkleys which are much better but are available in omen weight only..the dragon v lures are great and can be fished as Allan said just like a feathered or any other lure..swinging the new dragons in the current is effective but just remember the less action your softbait has the more you need to add yourself..I always add action to gulps but it’s a subtle thing..I don’t rate trigger x softbaits they have no action at all and have found dragons to outfish them ten to one.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Shark Slayer. I agree with you that the Dragons have far more action than the Berkley shads. The paddle tail on the Dragons (the two lures at the top in the above picture) vibrate causing the lure to wriggle like a real fish. It is amazing just how life-like they are even at quite slow speeds. Interesting you don’t use a mono or fluorocarbon leader. I don’t think I would be happy doing that. But if it works; fair enough.
    I think you are right about the Berkley jig-heads too. The light-weight Berkley jig-heads seem to have hooks that are too light for kahawai and big sea-run browns. But the Berkleys are sold everywhere. Worm hooks and a small sinker would give more options but shops don’t seem to stock them.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have had good success dead drifting softbaits in current (No swimming action at all) I hardly wind, just staying in contact with the softbait. I’m still getting used to braid as really only trying it properly this season… I’m sure you could just use mono with a sensitive rod and it be just as effective as braid.

burkefish
    Participant

the low stretch and fluorocarbon coated nylon work similar to braid. dragon is the best I have tried so far 13lb is .25mm. blackmagic tough is another one that is good. tried platypus low stretch is a bit too stiff for a spinning reel -be fine on a overhead. have list of others I want to try but hard to obtain. black magic the most cost effective- 1000 metres about $23. dragon is $20 for 150 metres.

yellowfin
    Participant

I just got a whole heap of soft plastic minnows from The Complete Angler along with some different jig-heads to try out on the sea-runs this season. Malcolm sells them loose so you don’t have to buy a whole packet of lures the same colour.I think I’ll also have a go at tossing them to kahawai at the beach. It will be intetesting.

troutfishernz
    Participant

subjohn

craytail
    Participant

I was just after people’s opinions about using scented soft baits for sea-run trout fishing.

Has anyone found that the scented soft baits out fish the unscented soft baits?

Or does anyone have any other opinion about the scented soft baits?

Is ‘lifelike action’ better than scent or does it really matter?

shark slayer
    Participant

the action is what does the damage..i have had heaps in the last month or so on the fly (grey ghosts with yellow chenelle)and softbaits.sometimes the trout will hit it four or five times before hooking up..i have had three crash the shingle bank to hit them thats how bad they wanna eat em” and have hooked up numerous times as soon as my softie hits the water and starts fluterring down..have had a couple hit my flys almost instantly aswel..scent is unneccessary and should of stayed banned..shame to see its allowed in the high country now as it can be fished as dead bait.

craytail
    Participant

shark slayer

nickthechippie
    Participant

Yep well said shark slayer. Those scented ones make everything stink too

troutfishernz
    Participant

I seem to get a lot more Mullet biting at my softbait when fishing with scented as opposed to non scented so i guess the scent does attract fish but have caught plenty of fish on non scented too.

shark slayer
    Participant

yea the scent works just like a dead or cut bait..its unnessesary to get searuns and like has been said it just makes a mess and you get juice and crap all over your hands and rod grip..i have had plenty of large mullet on unscented the scented omez get picked at to much..i have tried them surfcasting and aint a fan at all..never used scented spinning there is no need..unscented softys fished correctly are deadly effective lures on all predatory species..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About the Author