Soft Lures for Trout

homepage Forums Fishing Forums Fishing Lures Soft Lures for Trout

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Have any of you guys tried any of the soft lures?

What is the best way to rig these things up, the ones I have are like a small fish body and I would love to hear any tips on their set up and use.

Cheers

Terry

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Terry,

Strangely soft plastic lures have never really caught on in New Zealand. I have had quite a bit of experience on soft plastic lures and I can tell you they work very well on a wide variety of species. You can get incredibly life-like imitation soft plastic fish nowadays that swim and feel just like the real thing. They work great for both trout and saltwater species.

Perhaps one of the downsides of soft plastics is that they don’t last long on some species. Kahawai in particular chew them up very quickly. You can patch them by heating with a lighter and pressing the bits back together if you still have them.

You can get large bags of soft plastic worms, shrimps and such like. These work out at just a few cents each so who cares if they get munched-up! For jigging or casting they work as well as fresh bait..

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Also the new “Gulp” scented bait, Look around in a few tackle stores and you may find scented worms or check out the Gulp website.

yellowfin
    Participant

im sure someone here will correct me but to my understanding the scented plastics are illegal on salmon and trout

duck-kila
    Participant

not sure on that as heard of a change , as of today as new season starts but have to check with f & g to confirm change as could not find in reg book with license book

duck-kila
    Participant

have re read regs under first schedule sec 1 interpretation =BAIT — any scented lure constructed of or treated with elements that have chemical attractant properties. You have to check individual areas as each council can set own regs in schedule 2.

yellowfin
    Participant

From my understanding, scented soft plastic lures are now legal in bait fishing waters

fishsnatcher
    Participant

ha i left my scented soft plastics in my garage for 3 weeks when i remembered about them all the scent had evaporated! :evil:
    I’ll still be able to use them though…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.