Published On:

Soft Baits or Soft Plastics for the Twizel Canals

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Allan Burgess Allan Burgess 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Allan Burgess
    Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I’m often asked which soft-baits I use for fishing the canals. I prefer certain colours because I have been successful with them in the past. I’ve also found that you can be casting away with a particular colour sometimes without success. Then as soon as you change to something else you often get a hit straight away. It pays to carry a selection.

I have been successful on this colour plenty of times. They are Dragon V Lures. The top two are Bandits, and the bottom two are Lunatics. These have a bit of everything including bronze, red and green with black spots. I also use as much weight as I can to get the lure down near the bottom, given the flow rate. I also like to paint the lead heads with gold nail polish.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

The bumps on the back of these Dragon V lures aren’t just for show. They also provide a useful purpose as a target when pushing through the jighead hook. You can see in the first picture that by lining up the jighead in the correct place on top of the soft bait it needs to exit the back at the rear of the last bump.

This makes it much easier to get the hook in the right place the first time.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of troutfishernz
    troutfishernz
    Participant

last time I went up to the canals I tried the savage gear softplastics They look really good in the water but haven’t caught anything on them yet. i think its just a matter of using something that the fish don’t see all the time as a guy next to me got a good sized rainbow trout on traffic light toby, with most people using shrmips and softpastics/bait the fish probably don’t see many traditional lures

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I think you are quite right about fish in the canals appearing to ignore certain lures and colours. The problem is made worse when you have caught a few fish in the past on a particular soft bait colour. You know “that one” works because you’ve been successful with it in the past and so you stubbornly refuse to try something else!

The rainbow in this picture took a Dragon-V-Lures Bandit Lunatic gold coloured soft bait, with black spots, a green back, and flashes of red (pictured above). I’d been fishing a black dressed jig head that had been successful previously, but with no luck. A couple of casts with the gold soft bait and I hooked this rainbow straight away! I guess if it isn’t working it could be time to try something different.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About the Author

- Fishingmag.co.nz website editor.