Slaughter of sharks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne … harks.html

All those shark bodies are discarded after the fins are removed

[quote:3kz3txrn]73MILLION sharks being harvested for their fins every year.

Great Whites have been protected for a while and I think I read threshers are protected now also meaning you have to release any you catch. 73 Million a year, wont be long before they’re all gone.

Miliwolf
    Participant

GW are protected in New Zealand waters and maybe a few other countries. From memory I heard threshers were getting protection in the Indian ocean, but a few countries have already said they do not recognise the ban and still going to fish for them.

Most commercial shark finners simply cut the fins off while at sea and throw the rest overboard, seeing that they have landed the bodies whole they probably going to use other parts in the above photo.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah looking back at the photos the sharks have been gutted etc so likely they will be used not “discarded” as it says in the article. Still crazy the amount of fish,sharks,rays and other marine life that is killed by comercial fishing. Recreational fishermen wouldnt catch even half of the fish taken by comercial operations.

mulletman
    Participant

well we probably wont have any sharks left in 20 years soooo better make the most of catching and releasing sharks before there all gone because of bloody shark fin soup. ive heard it tastes like hot water. such a big waste of life. UNBELIVEABLE :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would not mind to see a natural reduction in the numbers of dogfish.

fishforpot
    Participant

Years ago , rig outnumbered dogfish off our beaches ……in summer I assume …………

I recall a guy named Dave Botino , who was an early pioneer in kitefishing along with Paul Barnes of course …Dave was fishing NapeNape in mid july and caught a huge elephant fish …..so maybe years ago ele’s and rig were here year around …..who knows

oldgreyboy
    Participant

i have noticed a few surfcasters around timaru taking the fins off their shoolies an rig and putting them in plastic bags in their tackle box so their there must be a under the table market going on 20 bucks a kg for schoolie fins an tail 13.50 for rig i have heard.

mulletman
    Participant

OHHH DAMN

St_Paul
    Participant

shark livers are also valued for the oil content, I’ve heard that they are often finned and have the livers removed. This occurs in New Zealand. There was a fishery operating in Kaikoura

http://www.sharkliveroil.co.nz/

Most finning operations take place at sea and the bodies are dumped.

mulletman
    Participant

thats not cool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.