Sinkers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Was just wondering what sinkers do you guys use and recommend?

><> ><{{{{{{@> ><>

I mainly use Strikeout / Breakouts / Breakaway sinkers. I think all of the above are different names for the same sinker design. Mainly use these on the surf beaches. Although they are quite expensive especially if brought from a retail shop.

At times in very ‘kelpy’, rocky and snaggy conditions I would use Ball Sinkers, they are dirt cheap and I always seem to end up with a pile of them.

I also have heaps of reef sinkers which I primarly brought for boat fishing but I do use when there is little current. I use them mainly because they are cheaper.

yellowfin
    Participant

i very rarely use ball sinker but ive

yellowfin
    Participant

I get my breakout sinkers on trademe. Just today I brought 6 for $15.50 which work out to be $2.60 each. I have thought about making my own but I do not really like melting lead.

I have never seriously looked at the Kmart tackle collection. Next time I am in Christchurch I must have a look at it.

yellowfin
    Participant

I never use breakout sinkers because of the cost, but

yellowfin
    Participant

I got these breakout sinkers off trademe,I think they were called Dolpin sinkers or something and they were by far the best BOS ive ever used.They only came in 4oz but the wire was alot thicker and longer

yellowfin
    Participant

I recently brought around 10 sinkers from “palmetto” on trademe. The ones I got are similar to these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 273531.htm

I am keen to test them out.

I suspect the seller of these actually posts on these boards under the name TheBeachFisherMan.

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone tried fishing with a stone instead of a lead sinker?

The larger size probably means they would be less likely to get caught. My local warehouse has quite a collection of stone sinkers which people never buy. Although they have slowly decreased in price. They are not any more expensive then the lead ones they sell.

yellowfin
    Participant

Typically

I am using a 12ft power play rod from Kilwell. Mainly fishing Mt Maunganui beach down to Papamoa. I like to use 5oz Grip and Frees, they are like a break away but they only have one set of anchor wires and wings.
    I find the double anchor wires just makes them harder to flip around when trying to retrive,

yellowfin
    Participant

I use the Gemini breakout sinkers and make them myself from a heap of old lead

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.