Shrimp as bait?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey everyone,

Just been doing a bit of research on trout fishing regulations on the internet and areas like the Kaiapoi actually allow bait fishing for them… Another area where bait is allowed are the Tekapo canals (I know that some find “fishing” over there a bit low but it seems to be a pretty convenient spot for families to go…). I’ve seen people mentioning the use of shrimps as bait in both these places. Couldn’t find out if they were referring to freshwater shrimps or what… Anyone knows?

Also, when they say you can use bait for trout they mention bait as being:

Natural fly

Natural insect

Natural spider

Natural worm or worms

Natural crustacean

Natural fish (excluding fish ova, or any portion of a fish, or shellfish (mollusc)

Uncoloured bread dough

Any scented lure constructed of, or treated with, elements that have chemical attractant properties”

So the shrimps mentioned before are definitely not supermarket shrimps? Anyone knows what a “natural” crustacean would be?

Was just wondering as I might give bait fishing a goal, besides spinning.

Thanks

troutfishernz
    Participant

Ive seen plenty people use supermarket shrimps before at the Tekapo canals and they have cought fish,Havent tryed them myself as I dont know if its legal or not.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What do you usually when you’re over there, troutfishernz?

troutfishernz
    Participant

I normally use worms, Huhu grubs are better but there hard to find were I live.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you tried or seen anyone trying soft baits over there? Don’t know where to get worms so thought the soft bait imitation might do?

troutfishernz
    Participant

I havent used soft baits or seen them used in the Tekapo canal. I have seen them catch fish in the ohau canal down by Twizel so I cant see a reason why they wont catch fish in the Tekapo canal as well.

I suspect a lot of the fish in the Tekapo canal are tackle shy As I have used spinners many times and have never had a touch and as soon as swicth to bait I start getting bites.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The worms you’re talking about are just your common garden worms?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes. the best place to find them is under stuff, Rocks,logs etc. Or failing that sometimes if you stick a garden fork in your lawn and wiggle it around the worms will come to the top.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet thanks for the tips

yellowfin
    Participant

Any bought prawns or shrimps are allowed to be used as long as it is the whole thing.You arnt allowed to break bits off and use them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see… Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.