shock leaders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    smells like fish
    Participant

i have been surfcasting for a while now and have never used a shock leader,I use 20lb line and can cast about 50m id say.

Does the use of a shockleader allow you to cast longer?So whats the reason?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Depends on how much weight you have on and how much weight you can put into casting, iv in the past broken 40lb leaders with 4oz and big bait. Where a leader really helps is figthing big sharks in heavy surf and tryin to land them that last 5metres in the wash. I recommend using them but again many dont all depends on theamount of power put into the casting putting pressure on the line and knots.

Duckman
    Participant

shock leaders are more for taking up the shock from casting and to help with mainline not rubbing on the bottom so as not to break as easy as using straight mainline, it also helps in taking the shock from big fish when they bite and run

smells like fish
    Participant

thanks,seem to be catching with the 50m cast and nothing too big so far so ill stick to 20lb mainline

yellowfin
    Participant

yes thick shockies will shorten your cast, i currently have 25lb mainline and either 60-80lb shock leaders on 3 reels and 2 others have 18lb mainline with a 18-70lb tappered leader on them, shock leaders can absorb the cast so dont snap mainline as often thus meaning less gear lost, also help when getting to the business end of the fight easier anbetter to grab shockie than mainline, also it helps when catching decent sharks the thcker shock leader will handle getting beaten around abit by the rough skin compared to the mainline, Usually a rod length and a half is good enough for surfcasting leader though if from piers etc its often handle to have on that will be able to be grabbed while the fish is in the water still, this length though really can shorten casting distance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.