Sharks of Dunedin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am new to these forums, but I have attempted to go fishing many times, though I’ve never actually caught anything. But this month, I plan to go fishing for carpet sharks and other small shark species around Aramoana, hopefully on a boat (I don’t plan on keeping any sharks, I just want to catch them and release them).

What other places around Dunedin are good for catching small sharks, what species do you catch there, and what are the best conditions for it?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Out of curiosity why would you want to target Carpet sharks? They are bad eating and don’t fight much. Best bet would be to target Greyboys should get them anywhere off the Otago coast.

Anonymous
    Inactive

troutfishernz

troutfishernz
    Participant

If your ever in Timaru try a big bait around Caroline bay there are heaps of carpet sharks there. Cant speak for Dunedin but there should be plenty around there too as they seem to like colder water.

shark slayer
    Participant

if you only want to look at them why not go diving instead you will see heaps of disgusting carpet sharks…any fish bait will catch plenty of carpet sharks and dogfish off the beach…both fight like crap and carpet sharks can be a pain to get off the hook and they twist your trace up and have a terrible smell that is hard to get off your hands..go to an aquarium mate haha

Anonymous
    Inactive

shark slayer

yellowfin
    Participant

If you want to catch sharks it may help to.
    Burly and chum up
    Use big hooks
    And ewwwww carpet sharks… Gross
    Try for 7gills not hard to catch just hard to wind in…

crabbedoff
    Participant

fish the beach with sum salmon as bait greyboys love it. carpets aren’t fun red cod bite and fight harder

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anybody know a good place to catch blue or sevengill sharks?

troutfishernz
    Participant

There was a small Sevengill caught off the dunedin wharf recently according to some guy I was talking too last week and Ive seen a big one taken off the beach near kakanui near Oamaru last year.

chchlandbased
    Participant

So if you’re fishing out of a boat at Aramoana like you said, Blues, Makos and the odd Thresher are common as in summer. Start burleying with minced
    couta anywhere around Taiaroa Head and blues should turn up within a matter of minutes, I have had a Mako est 350 kgs around the burley trail within probably 200 metres of the lighthouse.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.