Setting your drag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Do you always do that? Like, I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem necessary to set your drag using the usual surfcasting tackle. Do you only do that in case a big shark bites your bait?

If you do set the drag on your reel how do you judge when it’s enough? Do you use a scale or what?

Thanks

rdeejay
    Participant

Catch an Ele Or Rig then you’ll see why you need your drag set. I can’t remember the formula but it’s a certain percentage of your line breaking strain so lets say you had 10 kg line on and you wanted to set it to 7 kg drag one way to do it is fill a bucket of water that weighs 7kg’s hook your line to it and then walk some line out, now engage everything and walk backwards slowly with your rod up but not fully vertical adjust your drag till it starts coming off from the resistance of the bucket. Just remember if your rod tip is low the drag is less if it’s high its more.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ele or Rig? Do they have enough power to actually bust you off? I thought setting your drag would be in case a sevengiller or a big school shark shows up…
    Anyway thanks for the tips

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do not bother to ‘set my drag’. I adjust it quite a bit once out on the water. I normally have it fairly loose for the hook up and tighten it half way around once a fish is on. If the fish is taking heaps of line or looks like it is trying to bust me off I would tighten it up a little more, once under control I would loosen it a few clicks until the next run.

fishforpot
    Participant

I tighten mine 100% for the cast ….then back it off util line easiely comes off the reel , but enough to put a nice bend on the rod without lifting the breakaway sinker …..
    Then I flick up my bait runner drag ….just as an added safety measure

When it comes to fighting / landing the fish , I dont alter the drag at all , simply figering the spool ever so lightly to create any tempory drag if needed ……

Is the same technique I use when catching ele’s or rig on light line .. 2.3lb to be precise ….so its quite effective ……Sharp hooks are vital tho

Wilderness
    Participant

Using the method above by FISHFORPOT, you can land almost anything, it is the best way to fish with light line.

I would be very interested to know rdeejay what reel you are using to get 7kg of smooth drag out of. Many surf reels are not capible of this. Most species, lemons included, you wouldn’t need to go any harder then 3kg of drag.

The correct way to set you drag if using a bucket of water is to lift carefully, creating a bend, walking backwards the bucket weighs a lot more though friction between the surfaces. you should only pre set your drag with a fixed setting if using a bait runner. Even then, you are better to get a feel for the fish and adjust it on how comfitable you feel at the time.

If your drag is to high, it widens the gape in the likes of lip hooked kahawai ect, giving them much more of a chance to get off in the waves or when they get arrial. Fish like snapper often require a heavy enough drag to hold a slight bend in the rod, but light enough to have a play with the bait, in particular the big boys. Same with Moki and lemons, big bends, big strikes, big runs, more often than not they are picking it up and running with it, when tention is felt they drop it, so you are better off at times to button right off and let them have it.

When you set a bend in your rod, you should be able to turn the handle on the reel without retrieveing line, the spool should spin, and the sinker should stay put. This is a good guide for people comming to grips with how much pressure to use…… when fighting the fish, reel slowly not a million miles an hour with the spool flying round and round, be gentle and you will land most fish. unless fishing near reef, it’s fine to let them tucker themselfs out, there not going to go anywhere.

yellowfin
    Participant

You should always loosen off the drag after casting as you never know when a monster fish will hit your bait and then decide to take off.
    I have seen a rod snapped and others have had rods dragged into the sea by decent fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

The spool spinning while winding in the holder is a great analogy ….I set mine just a tiny tiny bit tighter …..once I reach that point .

One lesson we all learn , is to set the drag light ……especially so on shingle beaches ……
    Another is to NEVER point the rod at the fish , expecially when it’s in the wash …..I wont mention any names lol

The day we die is the day we stop learning ….

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

Moir ? lol ……never

I wonder tho , how much drag can be created by a 1m wave sucking back when a fish turns full sideways and then thrashes it head …..
    And what breaking strain its face is where its hooked ……

rdeejay
    Participant

Anyway you should move ya butt and gaff it lol and i wouldn’t be that silly to do that with something alot larger. When you heading out next? i need some more fish!

fishforpot
    Participant

Pondering the idea of a fish 2morra evening ……after work eeewwwww

Forcast looks so so …still a bit early to make a call tho …….re baileys / pendarves

yellowfin
    Participant

After sinker is set I wind up enough that the line is tight and there is a slight bend in the rod then set the drag just about freespool but still enough to keep the line tight. It’s something you should always do if fishing in the sea as you never know what could take your bait and even a large rig or ele could pull your rod stand over. While fishing for bait off the kaikoura wharf with tiny bait and size 10 trout hooks drag nearly locked and 60lb shockleader still on the reel something big either took the bait or got foul hooked and had my rod bent right down to the bottom before I grabbed it. Had it on for a couple seconds before the hook pulled. Could’ve been a stingray but lucky I had it secure in a hole on the wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea was it what zac that was so weird what ever it was was big shame we didnt see it

oldgreyboy
    Participant

i have been doing it all wrong since 1984. two rod holders 5 foot long half inch thick steel, bang it into the sand shingle two ft with a rock, cast drag on full and leave on full, sit on tackle box rod bends over jump up wrestle rod outta holder and keep tip up and pressure on tire fish out and slowly work onto the beach lol i have had the line severed by elle spikes so thats why i try to keep them coming head first all the way .25lb mainline 50 lb trace , 1984 diary read 44 cow ellies for the season . but will be setting drag a lot lighter this coming season .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.