Set net ban partially lifted next year

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5787 … rs-dolphin

Definitely a step in the wrong direction. I wasn’t going to bother voting in the election but probably will now.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ban not lifted for commercial operations though right?

yellowfin
    Participant

It says “The ban was lifted earlier this year for commercial set net fishers taking butterfish in the defined area, following court action. ” Though nets are bad whether it’s commercial or recreational – it’s a very greedy and indiscriminate method of catching fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Weak article but that is usual of Stuff, hardly addressing all the issues. They used a photo of 4 dead dolphins from the West Coast of the South Island on an article about net fishing on the completely opposite coast hundreds of kms away!! (my rant against stuff is over)

I hate all nets or trawling anywhere near the shore so dont think this was a smart move, not sure how a change of govt would make a difference when its the court that had ruled in the commercial fisherman’s favour.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The ban for commercials was lifted a few months back, Phil Heatley is probably the worst fisheries minister we have had for a long time. Its a move in the wrong direction and the fishery would suffer, saying that Hectors do not occur in the Sounds is also bullshit, seen them in there myself.

The government can change the law, and courts have to enforce the laws which the government passes. It was just messy legislation which allowed the commercials to begin netting again.

yellowfin
    Participant

So your saying the law that came into force under Labour in which this shotty legislation was produced is the fault of National and voting Labour back in will solve it??

It was great when the law was introduced, pity labour didnt get it right the first time and here we are now. Although I guess the current govt can do some thing about changing it but that cant happen till after the elections anyway.

How many of you will write in to complain?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Shark_Tale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.