seddon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

hey guys went out surfcasting at seddon a few days ago caught a decent size red cod and a good size rig within the space of an hour.

How can you tell if the cod has lice do you have to cut them open to fnd out or is there another way of knowing?

Is there any particular way to fillet this fish

thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

worms and lice will be visable on the outside ysually around the gills and mouth. the lice are whiteish clear looking thngs where as he worms well look like worms thatt are slightly embedded into the fish

fishforpot
    Participant

Rig ?? did it have tiny teeth ? and spikes maybe ?

yellowfin
    Participant

from the outside the fish seemed to appear fine i couldnt see any lice. I’m just wondering where i was fishing was quite a drop off wasn’t around a harbour or anything maybe they are less prone to lice and worms if caught in deeper waters.
    As for the rig i cant remember about the teeth but it definitly wasn’t a dog fish i’ve caught heaps of them over the years was more grey in colour ill try load some pics up

Miliwolf
    Participant

If the red cod appears healthy it would be safe to eat, even with worms/lice they are safe to eat. Good rig fishing on the beaches around Seddon. Blind River, Seaview and behind the Saltworks are all productive. Just need to avoid any wind from the west, and especially norwest. Weeds in the water can make Saltwork beach difficult to fish for several days after a good southerly storm. From now on the Rig fishing should only get better until the start of winter.

fishforpot
    Participant

VW , it sounds a lot more like a school shark to me ….rig isnt a fish people catch much unless targeting them with specific baits , and considering the time of year it just seems more logical it wasnt in fact a rig ….
    Rig have no teeth , they do have spots tho and are more of a brown colour

On the bright side tho , I much prefer eating school shark to rig …the taste isnt that different , but the texture of the schoolie is better

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea you could be right there i just assumed it was a rig but it was prob more like a school shark as u said.
    I’m going to plan a trip over to the west coast sometime soon if anyone is keen, wana try my luck over there.
    I’ll try organise a date but if anyone wants to join me ur more than welcome

fishforpot
    Participant

You dont plan a date for the West Coast …you pencil in the fact your gunna go sometime ….and play it by ear ….

The best weather for over there comes feb/march from memory ….

It can be the ugliest of places ……if your willing to travel , head to Kaikoura , or msg milly and join him in the sounds for a snapper fish ….

Its devine up there …..Id love to head up myself but work committments make it more than difficult

Miliwolf
    Participant

Could of been a Rig, they do take random baits at times and they should be prowling the beaches. Would probably head over to Westhaven inlet this Marlb annivarasy weekend (if weather looks decent) if anyone interested they can join me. Would do a bit of Surfcasting, Rock Fishing, White baiting and maybe Floundering. Would spend much more time driving randomly around and thinking about where to go.

fishforpot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.