searuns

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I guess it must look completely different now that the water has dropped.

troutfishernz
    Participant

fished Opihi mouth on sunday, lots of fish splashing around with the best caught being this 4lber bit skinny but still had red flesh..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

It does look a bit thin on it, though typical for this time of year. I like the elephant fish egg case you’ve got there too. That’s one of cool aspects about fishing, there is always something interesting to see. Is the mouth staying open since the big flood?

I’d also be interested to know if you or the other guys down there have been fishing for sea-run browns with soft baits like this Dragon Drop Shot 7.5cm! It does look a bit like a silvery and is the right size.

Attachments:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes the mouth is still open to the sea.. I have some of those softbaits but not allowed to use scented baits in the Opihi during the winter season.. will be trying the Dragon softbaits in the coming season, have used them in the canals and caught salmon and they do look a lot more realistic than Gulp.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Soft baits seem to have largely taken over from the old metal spinners, plastic Kobras, and the like.
    A few years back a mate of mine would catch silveries in a bucket, lip hook them, and float them down into deeper water in the Waimakariri River for sea-run trout. It used to be very effective. I guess that would work with soft baits too. Here is a “school” of Dragon soft baits that look a lot like silveries.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members