searuns

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

some good searun trout around yesterday for opening day fished a small/medium Canterbury river mouth and hooked half a dozen or so but only landed one 4lb fish. plus a lost a estimated 10lb+ in the breakers.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jamie
    Participant

anything around the opihi mouth yet i wonder? some good fish up river i have seen, lost two big ones in rapid on open day 🙁

troutfishernz
    Participant

Havent heard of much i think the mouth is very long and narrow with no tidal movement in the lagoon judging by ecan lagoon height graph.. I fished at raincliff on monday night and the river is looking great above the Opuha confluence No weed and and I sighted a number of good fish and landed a couple of small ones, below the Opuha was horrible with huge clumps of dydimo floating downstream.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

That looks like a quite a big sea-run trout. Well done!

jamie
    Participant

lost another last night! a few fish in the river though,

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I had a fish for sea-run brown trout a couple of nights ago at one of my old haunts between the bridges on the Waimakariri River. There were only about six of us fishing. Unfortunately, none were caught. Didn’t see any swirls or crashing around on the surface either. I was fishing from 7 – 9pm. Still a little early perhaps. The water was reasonably clear with a greyish/ green tinge. Some years the sea-runs at this spot are later than others. A fresh through the river also tends to bring in new fish.

Attachments:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good numbers of searuns at Opihi mouth today landed 1 just over 5lb and lost 2 around 3lb each, both the lagoon and lower river is looking good after last weeks fresh/flood flows..

Attachments:

jamie
    Participant

good effort, in the surf?
    taz devils are working better for me than soft bait atm! good flows aye.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nah in the lagoon/gut at low tide on drifted 3inch gulp, surf was to dirty to fish.
    ive been using the black magic enticers in lake Opuha and at hanging rock with ok success but haven’t hooked anything big on them yet.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the lower Opihi today, river in good condition with no algae and good flow. but seemed devoid of fish with nothing seen or caught.. was fishing much better before the fresh/flood last week with lots of small maiden searuns around 1-2lb landed plus my mate got a big resident brown around 5lb.

jamie
    Participant

thats interesting, i struggle in the winter opihi fishing, do sea run trout happen in winter months? still on soft bait?

troutfishernz
    Participant

normally pretty slow until august, but just before the fresh last last week it was going good in the section of river about 1km up from the mouth. most fish where small though. was using brown trout Rapala

troutfishernz
    Participant

had a look at the Opihi river today for the first time since the big flood 3 weeks ago. river still carrying a lot of colour but fish able, was pretty slow but still caught 1 small searun on a silver and green spoon..

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Good work. The Opihi River is usually pretty dry. I guess that big flood must have really cleaned it out.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah was bank to bank at one point could see logs and debris 3-4m above the normal river height. normally only flows at 4-5cu at sh1.. it peaked at 1400cu at the peak of the flood. had another look yesterday and its dirty again probably snow melt and bit of NW spillover rain in the headwaters..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members