Sealed reels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone know what price range you’re looking at for an eggbeater surf reel that’s properly sealed so that saltwater and sand can’t get in? I use alveys myself but something like that could be useful for my sons, lure fishing, or kayak fishing.

Can’t say I’m a big fan of having to disassemble eggbeater reels after every trip that they get saltwater in them, I’m yet to own one that lasts for long (hence the switch to alveys).

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

tica penn and mitchell seem to do ok for me..very hard to seal a main shaft..mind you I never seem to get salt water in mine..how do you do that? :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Usually when wading out a bit to cast, but I’m not good at keeping reels off sand in general. And there’s the issue of kids with fishing gear, and capsizing in your kayak.

yellowfin
    Participant

Something like this would be good, slightly out of the desired price range though :lol:
    http://www.tackledirect.com/vanstaalvs300.html

Miliwolf
    Participant

To the best of my knowledge fully sealed reels are very expensive. The only ones I can think of are priced comparably to the VS.

I just let mine get wet, and let sand gets in them. A quick splash with water, and a bit of effort normally unseizes them at the beginning of my next fishing trip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.