Saltwater Surfcasting Bling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hardy
    Participant

You either love it, hate it or are undecided. Guess I am in the ” Love it catagory” but on occassions I do use just a bare hook and bait.

If you make your own blingie thingies and catch fish on it. Then there is a feeling of acomplishment. I tie my own flashers and saltwater flys.

The flys are used on normal surfcasting gear. Me and my mates incorporate a small float to give the fly a bit of bouyancy and make it move about with the swell action.

We get well over 80 per cent of our fish on the fly, even tho there is a bait dangling a bit further down. Use a 1/0 Recurve hook. Sounds small yes. But any bigger and it becomes a flasher and more or less needs baiting. Fish species taken to date here in Westport are. Snapper, Rig, Grey Boy, Kahawai, Yems, Monk Fish (Star Gazer), Gurnard, Sting Ray. Red Cod and its best friend ole Spikey. I guess the only thing we havent caught is Elles. But there arent any around Westport. More towards Hokitika.

I will be using flys at the Birdlings Comp to see how they go over there, and of course in conjunction with a baited hook. Now I see you like a bit colour Ian. Checked your homesite out. Its not how much colour you use, but where you use it. And I do like colour eh. Lotsa colour as you can see.

The Saltwater Flys pic is a Fruit Salad Selection. They all work. But a good all round fly seems to be green and red with a bit of sparkle added.

The Ultimate Bling Rig is one I made up for a friend as a bit of a giggle. Perhaps a fish would rather mate with it, then eat it. Lotsa fun making these things, and fills in a boring afternoon when the sea is rough.

Cheers Hardy aka Trev

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice. I have tried tying my own flashers but found it rather cumbersome and slow. Always thought about buying some fly tying tools, do you use them? Is it any easier or quicker?

Hardy
    Participant

Muddy you really need a Fly Tying vice and a bobbin. The bobbin is the thing that holds the reel of thread. You can even use a small vice to hold the hook while you are
    working on it. But with a Fly Tying vice you can do so much more. Use Nail polish to lock/glue your thread when you tie. And get your thread from Spotlight. Cheap as.

Fly tying bits and pieces and stuff in sports shops is expensive. But the Vices and bobbins are actually quite cheap. Made in India will do you. Mylar thread and the other flashy stuff can be found on the internet. Check out Hot Shotz. Fishy Bishy has a good range. Get the gear and before you know it, we will be seeing your creations. Its easy peasy once you get the hang of it. I dont try and create masterpieces, like the true Saltwater Fly Tying brigade. Flashy and gawdy does me. And they work. Thats the best part.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok cheers, thought the lack of tools was my main problem. Will look at getting some and giving it another shot, it really is good for filling in time – mainly in winter i find

Cheers, Evan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.