Salt vs Fresh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

So what is your perfered domain and why?

Salt water or fresh

Personally mine is salt water as theres always that exciting aspect of you dont quite know whats next be it a rig ele shark of other sort etc. you can never just be sure

yellowfin
    Participant

Definately salt water.. heaps more variety..

I’ve never really been into freshwater fishing… Except for a bit of whitebaiting and eeling.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do enjoy freshwater fly fishing the most, but Saltwater offers many more possibilities.

rayhunter
    Participant

i think sea is better as you never know what you will get ,and trout is good cos there some great spots to camp and fish

fishforpot
    Participant

Been cleaned out by some huge fish over the years , no idea what they were in many cases …..

Freshwater is lame in comparison ….

baitman
    Participant

I’m with Miliwolf as far as sport goes trout on light tippet along with the deception beats fishing heavy tackle/chuck and chance any day.
    Ive caught marlin ,big sharks big snapper etc but the satisfaction gained catching trout on a little river beats them hands down. As far as eating goes salt water wins every time.

yellowfin
    Participant

The thrill of catching a prime salmon is hard to beat..better than big snapper imo. I prefer saltwater fish for eating for sure, but nothing compares to the elation of the seasons first Chinook. Big rainbows are exciting and can scrap with the best of them on light tackle, as can sea run browns. Fly fishing offers so much more in that you are actively seeking out your quarry a lot of the time, and it can be very visual. But in saying that, I enjoy both forms a great deal and there is something special about spending a balmy summers evening on the beach watching the lil glow stick on the end of the rod whilst waiting for a hit..both forms = great times

yellowfin
    Participant

Salt, never know what you might catch.
    Although I do have a soft spot for Lake Brunner, esp if it can repeat this summer what it was like last summer!

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have a very good idea on what I am going to catch when Saltwater fishing, When I go Snapper fishing I normally catch Snapper, When I go Rig fishing I catch Rig, when I go Sharking I predominately catch Sevengillers and Topes, when I go Moki fishing I typically catch nothing ect…. I agree these always the minute chance of catching something unexpected but thats not the reason I enjoy saltwater fishing.

troutfishernz
    Participant

I prefer saltwater mainly cause saltwater fish are generally better eating and there is far more varaity of species.
    Although I do like freshwater fishing using light gear.

yellowfin
    Participant

lol you got tht right mili when moki fishing you generally get nothing!! infact i very rarely see you get anything lol!!! jokes but yes mli has a point you kinda know what your going oe trying to get but that suprise is always there

elmo22
    Participant

salt fishing more fish in the water, put line out, rod in holder lay back and wait for the rod to bend over them enjoy the fight lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Both fresh and salt are great.Stalking up close to huge trout in Larrys creek is hard to beat.But seeing your surfcaster bent over pointing to the horizon and reel screaming its head off is heart pounding stuff.Bring on summer and all fishing.Amen.

rdeejay
    Participant

salt for me but i was spoiled as a kid growing up as my mum is from the far north and now living back there and when i say far north i mean the real far north! ninety mile beach and the bluff at your doorstep or head over to great exhibition bay and fish around parengarenga harbour heck you could even pop down to pukenui and fish off the wharf to catch kingis

yellowfin
    Participant

Obviously salt water is superior and offers a much wider range of fishing from small fish to game fishing and all the various methods of fishing that go with it. Nothing wrong with fresh water fishing though and it’s probably more popular than salt water around the south island especially for land based fisherman. Trout fishing has never interested me and now I’m more into fishing for sharks and rays but spinning for kahawai and salmon in the surf still interests me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.