salmon trip Chch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dr4lex
    Participant

hi people,im real keen to join someone to catch some salomon in Chch area next weekend

I am 34yo male ,from Russia originally,spent almost 7 years in jafaland,got sick of it and decided to explore South Island.

So here i am ,slowly making my way down south.

would really love to meet interesting people,and experience NZ salomon or trout fishing.

Heard Rakaia river is the best but having not much fishing skill thinkin i’d be better off to join some “pros”

will chip in for expences, ready to provide my 4wd to get to remote spot

yellowfin
    Participant

You have arrived just as the salmon fishing season has ended. The main salmon season in the east coast rivers runs from November through to the end of March. February is probably the best month for salmon fishing but this varies from river to river with the Waimakariri River fishing well in March. Some of the best salmon fishing took place in the Waitaki River during April however Central South Island Fish & Game have put a stop to salmon fishing in the Waitaki River after the end of March. There is still plenty of good freshwater fishing available over the winter but you will need to carefully read your Fish & Game booklet to find out which waters are open, and which are closed to fishing.

dr4lex
    Participant

thanks a lot for that,
    ye,guys from fishing shop told me kinda the same, I am quite a bit late with my intensions,well next time then :]

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Winter Salmon fishing is still a happening thing on the Tekapo and Ohau canals but despite the drive being picturesque this time of year, the scenery at the canals is a bit bland to say the least.
    Of the two, more reports have been heard locally of the Ohau B Canal, just south of Twizel, turn left near the Salmon shop (easy to find) and follow the road down and across the power station.
    Fish below the farm rafts from the south side with grub imitations (or live HuHu grub), brown blobby looking flies that emulate the salmon food, or simply spin fish.
    Salmon from 2lb to double figures have been reported there this past season.
    Word of caution: The roads are very icy now so extra care when driving is insisted!

keenfisherman
    Participant

I went to the ohau A canal 3 months ago, caught just one small salmon (2.5lb), but saw alot of fish in the shallows criusing. Hooked and lost about 5 fish spinning with tassies, so next time going to try bait fishing to try and get proper hookups. Once again we saw small fish everywhere – browns, Rainbows, and some small salmon. If you are looking to target salmon in the winter the canals are probably the best option close to christchurch.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

…..or Coleridge, either of the two will be icy cold and Coleridge is a shorter drive on icy roads than all the way down to Tekapo.
    Lake Coleridge has restrictions for where you can fish and when so be sure to check a: that it is open, and b: that you are not standing in a no go area, like a tributary confluence etc. If you are brave enough, Luminous Doll Flies after dark work a treat…..

keenfisherman
    Participant

freezing cold after dark at coleridge, so make sure you wrap up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.