Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 181 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Somebody here is keeping awfully quiet about their recent success, they have well and truly arrived early this year. some good size fish showing up on the end of peoples lines in the last week or 2.

hopefully I can get away for a day or 2 this month and get onto a nice big December Bullet.

nickthechippie
    Participant

Yum. what is the best way to get salmon scales off the skin of a fat wild 12pnder?
    :wink:

burkefish
    Participant

a hose will remove scales by directing it from the tail up. works for me when i get the fish home. only down side is if you catch a few fish you tend to have a lot of fish scales left around the area so suggest don’t do it around the backdoor – doesn’t go down to well. i don’t scale fish i’m going to smoke.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Got my first salmon of the season this morning in the surf at Rangitata, just a small one at 7.5lb but good fun on the trout rod :grin: :grin:

nickthechippie
    Participant

Thats awesome troutfisher, i have the same rod i use for trout, what reel do you use? I use a little abu cardinal. Now all rivers are clear i will use light trout gear tomorrow for chasing salmon.

troutfishernz
    Participant

The reel is a okuma rtx 25. I was after kahawai hence the light gear and was quite surprised when a Salmon grabbed my 10g hex wobbler.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

caught a 15lber in good nick trolling in otago harbour this morning and saw one of a similar size landed off the wharf yesterday which prompted me to head out. Still not a lot of action but fish appear to be in good condition.

Does any know if the rangitata surf has been firing????!!!!

Gofish270
    Participant

I got a 13lb in the Rakaia surf yesterday. Around 6 landed that I saw, and a couple dropped.
    Lots of people this morning, but conditions turned to crap.

Zeddie
    Participant

Hi , any fish around. ?? Couldn’t make it out today ,
    thought waimak would be a good colour/ condition . .?

shark slayer
    Participant

yes they are two steps to the left and four to the right..i think i can hear seven of them and they smell about 14lb each.

Fishunter
    Participant

I seen 8 salmon crossing 2 shingle bars up near the Rakaia gorge on Sunday afternoon on a side stream,between 2 shingle bars 200mtrs apart.They were swimming fast.Bloody great sight even if river was too dirty to fish.

nickthechippie
    Participant

:lol: Hey sharkslayer u have got the fever bad for someone who isn’t salmon fishing this season.

shark slayer
    Participant

ive been fishing for kahawai i swear.. :grin: ..ok ..i have changed rods,ordered lures,done maintenance on my reels,come up with new theories…and even had a couple early tries….stupid salmon..time to guess when its gonna peak and book my hollidays..
    :lol:

hookusup
    Participant

The forums so quiet this year compared to the last few seasons :cry: .
    There must be a few in the rivers and hanging round the mouth :?: .

yellowfin
    Participant

I know of 2 taken at the mouth today & 4 at Mac Rocks…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members