Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

i have seen lots of that stupidity in north canterbury saying its only in central canterbury is extremely naive..and wrong..all studies on declining and desimated chinook fisherys overseas have proven the causes where overfishing.you say the catch rates never effect the return rate..but you assume all fish return after 3 years..but they can come back as early as one year or stay out as late as seven hence why there is usualy big variation of sizes of fish in the run..you also fail to consider such factors as commercial take on top off the rec take..also f&g catch rates for the season are blind estimates unless you can tell me they have guys sitting on every meter of the river all season long to count every fish taken?the studys of fisheries that had declined or collapsed overseas also noted one of the biggest causes was peoples unwillingness to lower harvest rates .i think we should drop the limit or put a lower limit on how far up you can fish.full stop

burkefish
    Participant

the problem currently in the north pacific is too many fish with usa, Canada, japan, Russia releasing from commercial hatcheries 8 billion smolt a year to add to the estimated 2 billion wild fish, there is not enough food. also Canada has introduced atlantic cage rearing around Vancouver island and this has introduced a devastating disease into the pacific that has wiped out millions of wild salmon. another problem up there is that the commercial hatcheries have been releasing their smolt at the same time as wild smolt descend the rivers and as hatcheries smolt are bigger they out compete the wild ones. in nz a 5 year salmon is very rare the main age is 3 years and to have a healthy fishery you need to have all year classes present in a run. trawlers now catch very few salmon as it is no longer worth their while as they can’t compete price wise with farm reared ones and monitoring is so much better now with remote technology. f&g estimates are always an under estimate as they can’t count all fish that spawn or are caught. from their surveys. they need to ensure that the number of fish that spawn is not too many and not too little. the fact remains that from 1960 85% of all salmon caught up until the mid 1990’s were glenariffe releases and when that closed that took 85% of the fish out of the system and we are now getting that back through hatchery releases. I do agree with you about stopping fishing in the upper reaches of the rivers that was proved on the rangitata a few years ago.

shark slayer
    Participant

yea they had problems with cage reared salmon infecting wild stocks..but the initial decline was from over harvesting they had disease problems when trying to rebuild stocks..the heallthiest the northwest american stocks were was in the 1800’s when the salmon were almost left alone due to war and alot of the native indian population in the area were killed..then the population rebuilt and the area underwent developement and the fishing pressure wbecame to high for the stocks to accomodate..efforts by yhe goverent to drop harvest levels for both commercial and rec were met with protest and the stocks completely collapsed.we have an awesome marine environment here in nz and alot of people take it for granted..i j dont want us to foolow over seas trends and ruin all our fisheries.i think changing the distance you can fish up river would be a real help to the salmon runs so at least we agree on something burkefish

burkefish
    Participant

probably agree in a lot of other things as well. went with a group of volunteers to remove scotty boxes from the big alvinator at hacketts on sataurdy, we had put 39,000 ova in it. by the looks of things and the final count isn’t in there is a hatch rate of at lest 90%. the other good news is the system is working judging by the number of spawning fish in the lower stream. strange thing is that some of the fish there have only recently arrived. do you count them as late or early or we starting to see an extended spawning run. be good if it is. also 30,000 smolt were released down the mak this week.

shark slayer
    Participant

awesome stuff..maybe the run went on longer due to numbers??cant wait for this season..im thinking big fish.

burkefish
    Participant

Agree with the big fish in the coming season, everything is pointing that way. interesting in the press escape on Monday peter shutt commenting on what north Canterbury f&g are doing along the glenariffe and double hill rivers. they are working with glenaan station, qe2 trust and ecan and have fenced 2.5km of the rivers and a 3 hectare wetland and have contributed to funding another 1.5 km and another 3 hectare wet land . this is what needs to happen on all rivers to protect spawning areas and will lead to increasing numbers.

shark slayer
    Participant

good to hear of progress being made..irrigation is the next problem that needs urgent attention..not just for the health of the salmon fishery but for all our fresh water fisheries native species and rivers.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

why are you guys thinking big fish? I thought the numbers of small seemingly malnourished fish this past season reminded me of the collapse that occurred at the early 2000’s where at least on the waitaki and rangi where i was fishing a year of poorly conditioned fish was followed by a huge drop in numbers

burkefish
    Participant

the smaller fish in north Canterbury were in excellent condition. 25” fish 10lbs, 28”fish 12lbs, these were younger fish. contrast with 37” fish weighing 14lb, these older fish were around when the earthquakes happened seems something -possibly disrupted food sources or something. I measured a fairly large number of fish last year and these result were consistent through the season.

burkefish
    Participant

also there have been increasing numbers of smolt and ova planting with this season being one of the first for returns. another factor is that already salmon have been caught off beaches and 1 at the wiamak- these weren’t mature fish and that can point to more fish at sea. this year at a rough count about 720,000 eyed ova, fry and smolt have planted or released also wild fish spawning can be added to that number in north Canterbury rivers . added to that whatever has been released further down that is a lot of fish. these numbers have been building up since the quakes therefore the reason good numbers of fish that could be larger. also the 2yearold fish size last season means that those that didn’t mature and are coming this season should have at lest doubled in weight given that the growth gene kicks in in the last year of their lives and providing the food source is still good out there.

salmonhunternz
    Participant

Anyone know if there’s been any salmon caught at kaikora yet?

burkefish
    Participant

know of at lest 1 looked in the 12to 15lb size. 2 small fish taken at birdlings flat and 1 about a month ago at the mak mouth.

shark slayer
    Participant

ive had one and dropped two getting used to my new rod..i got the two (actualy 3)at birdlings and my mate got a nice fish at birdlings and at kaikoura ..its hard fishing there this year tho you really have to put in the time.

mousebradley
    Participant

What size were the salmon, shark slayer?

shark slayer
    Participant

didn’t bother weighing them but my mates was around 10,mine was 6/7..only got a look at one of the fish I lost it looked in the 15lb plus bracket and the other one felt heavy..could be in for some good fish in the main run this year..the two we got were in mint condition.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members