Salmon Season 2014 – 2015

Posted By Johnwest On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 180 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 181 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

find a 12 year old to upload the image file using the full editor for you.

yellowfin
    Participant

There have almost been as many Kingies caught as salmon in Otago Harbour this year.

Biggest I have seen was 7.8kg caught by a tourist trying for salmon.

most are undersize but every now and then you hear of a good 90+cm fish being landed.

gutted I haven’t had a chance to try for one yet. about to go another full month without a fish. I blame my father for not warning me about having children and how it changes EVERYTHING.

We are having some serious issues with poaching again this year, with the Leith stream showing good returning number, unfortunately they are in plain sight and there’s a lot of fowl hooking going on.

shark slayer
    Participant

Its normally easy but my laptop isn’t working so I am doing it off my phone
    managed to get one up anyway…

shark slayer
    Participant

Got it sorted..put a couple of pics up on the general fishing forum subjohn..cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Has the main run happened at the mak yet? I will wait for the next bit of rain and check out the rocks.

burkefish
    Participant

no not far away, was the first week of march last year. signs looking good after what starting to happen at other rivers this week.

nickthechippie
    Participant

how is the Rakaia salmon comp going? wish I was able to fish in it

yellowfin
    Participant

26 salmon Friday.

yellowfin
    Participant

Did anyone pick up a black co2 life jacket today from the north side of Hurunui. Left on a log.
    Went back to pick up but was already gone. Cheers.

troutfishernz
    Participant

slow day at the Rangitata today, no salmon caught when i was there, few kahawai in the gut but not in huge numbers river very low and clear, surf was calm but dirty.

I’m from the high country, trout I understand, I’ve not long moved closer to the coast and am able to target salmon for the first time in the clutha, I’ve been using Z spoons up river and weight forward ticers around the mouths, getting 80m or so casts with them. I,ve been going every weekend since the first week in Jan. I’ve caught a dozon or so hard fighting big ky’s but haven’t got a single sniff from a salmon, haven’t seen a single porpoise or seen anyone else catch one either. Can anyone tell me if the main run is in the river by now or are they still at sea?

troutfishernz
    Participant

from my experience in fishing the Clutha is the best salmon fishing is below the Roxbrough dam later in the season as salmon congregate below the dam. being such a big deep river the chances of catching one anywhere else is pretty slim.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rakaia Hut Owners Comp 2014/2015 salmon weights.
    Rakaia Hut Owners Comp 2014/2015 salmon weights

Salmon caught during the recent Rakaia River Salmon Fishing Contest. It weighed about 4kg. Again typical of the salmon this season
    Salmon caught during the recent Rakaia River Salmon Fishing Contest. It weighed about 4kg. Again typical of the salmon this season.
    Rakaia Hut Owners Competition 2014/2015

The hut owners at South Rakaia hold a fishing competition which runs throughout the salmon fishing season from November through to April. Here are the fish weights. They make interesting reading. Note the heaviest fish caught weighed 7.97kg (17.5 pounds). The average weight (excluding the very small fish at the top of the list) was just 5.54kg (12.2 pounds). From memory the last time the salmon got down to these sort of weights was the 2000 season. The most likely reason for these low fish weights is poor feeding conditions at sea.

This salmon caught at the mouth of the Waimakariri River, and entered in the Kairaki Beach Motor Camp Comp, weighed about 5kg. It is typical of the salmon taken this season. They have been difficult to catch too.
    This salmon caught at the mouth of the Waimakariri River, and entered in the Kairaki Beach Motor Camp Comp, weighed about 5kg. It is typical of the salmon taken this season. They have been difficult to catch too.

yellowfin
    Participant

I heard there was nothing taken at the mouth today. The surf is still rough with the odd surge coming up the river. One caught at the Banana Hole this morning. There were 6 taken at mouth yesterday at low tide :grin:

kbel
    Participant

We fished the Hurrinui mouth last weekend (14th and 15th)very quiet with only a three of salmon landed over the weekend.(plenty kahawai in the surf)
    Unfortunately there was a small chilly bag (containing a few spools of new mono) left behind up on top of the beach beside a big log.
    It had a “Rakaia Salmon Competition” emblem on it.If anyone has picked it up or hears about it please contact.Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members