Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

0they are just starting to move, according to f&g the rangi is producing a few, the Rakaia usually really gets going a couple of weeks later. the mak anytime around that. f&g report yesterday said their have been a few taken in the mak, know of an 8lb one at the mouth yesterday. size wise f&g say they range from 8lb to 27lb (don’t know where it was caught).

yellowfin
    Participant

I think the F&G report was a bit over-optimistic. The rangi has been near dead. Some hut holders have fished hard, daily, for weeks. Only one verified catch. Possibly one more. Don’t want to be a gloom merchant, but I hear Scotland had a very bad salmon season. Mother Nature is very mysterious.

burkefish
    Participant

wasn’t bad season in the north pacific.

yellowfin
    Participant

very quiet everywhere!

+1 for the over optimistic report fish n game sent out

jamie
    Participant

>>

ripshitandbust
    Participant

Nothing in Otago harbour yet, plenty of couta thou :(

Participant

Yes your right burkefish on putting some back,i always average in the double figures each season so you cud say im either lucky or a good fisherman depends how your train of thought is on catching them i guess, i release more fish than i keep as i want my young lad the opportunity to catch them as well when hes older and to be honest theres only so much fish you can eat they are such a magnificent sport fish and deserve our respect, i remember a few years ago when i started releasing them you would not believe the amount of abuse i coped for it from other fellow fishers,i just think they are so narrow minded with no thought for the future

burkefish
    Participant

thankfully attitudes seem to be changing though it must be hard for anglers who catch 1or 2 seeing someone letting a fish go that they are putting a lot of effort into trying to catch.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I’ve seen plenty of salmon caught but never seen one released. I’m sure it happens coz plenty of people say they do it so one day I’ll see it happen im sure. I only get one or two a season despite many hundreds of hours trying but the way I see it I have a lot of years to perfect the art of enticing more hits. When I do I’ll consider letting a few go.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have only seen foul hooked Salmon released, although I have seen clips on youtube of a few released & they are at the mouth too. They must get a few, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GwkJOkLBw

yellowfin
    Participant

I suppose if your retired and living down the huts youd def have the op. To release alot more fish.
    But the sheer number of anglers fishing south rangitata last few days and weekends is insane the only time i go down is when everyone else goes home. Too many people and too much pressure.
    I like my beer cold my beaches and fishing spots empty and my ciggarettes pre rolled

ripshitandbust
    Participant

Any new reports? anything more been weighed in at south rangi camp? All I have heard of is a 9lber out of the otago harbour basin on Friday night.

burkefish
    Participant

a couple of good fish up the waimak last week- 26 and 18 and 1or 2 small ones. great to see size variation- fishery experts say that size variation in a run is a sign of a healthy fishery. I have yet to see a fish let alone catch one, yet the expectation is that it will happen very soon, river will be fishable this afternoon.

shark slayer
    Participant

good to hear reports of a few..i reckon it will be a cracker of a season but may be a slow start..kaikoura was good i only specificaly targeted them 3 times and got 5 and dropped a couple..put one back the rest were all trebled up hard..i think the reasn people abuse you when you put them back is because they are greedy and dont want to see an attitude change towards the salmon not being thrashed as hard and of course jealousy is a factor..alot of the older guys wont put anything back no matter how small..i personaly would like to see the limit dropped to 1 i mean thats all you need anyway especialy if you get a 15lb plus fish..but could you imagine the shit storm if it was dropped haha idiots would be protesting and crying about it for months..anyhow to busy at the moment for salmon im going to start at xmas time..until then good luck boys :grin:

burkefish
    Participant

the problem with limit of one is that the regs say you must stop fishing after killing you limit. with salmon you often hit the first one very early on in your day and if you have travelled a fair distance you would have a very short day. recall a day at the hurunui rowed the river walked 25 min to mouth, had 5 casts 2 fish. spent the rest of the day sitting on the beach while my mates tried to get fish. the reality is that limit bags of salmon are not that common, maybe 1 or 2 a season unless you are chasing them up the river from hole to hole. as only about 8% of anglers catch more than 2 fish a season, we are the ones that most need to change our practice and think more about conservation.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.