Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 407 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

burkefish where did you get the newest edition of salmon fever from?i too have the old one. but would be keen to see the new one

p.s, Hurunui quiet. a whole heap of kahawai about. saw one salmon caught and 1 going up through the gut. that is all

Johnwest
    Participant

You can get it at Hamills on Colombo for $50… were the KW schooling up big time?

Anonymous

Look on Trademe Ross has current listings for this book

Anonymous

Rakaia still quiet (few ky and small sea runs around)
    Waimak still quiet
    Will have to take the jetboat out for a look after the next fresh

burkefish
    Participant

ithnk most sport fishing shops in chch will have it now, if you want a signed copy Ross has them on trademe.

yellowfin
    Participant

Is the Millichamp book a lot different and worth buying if you have the 1st one.

burkefish
    Participant

yes, it has been completely rewritten.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

How do things compare at the rakaia and rangi in comparison to normal years sounds pretty quiet? usually a few starting getting caught at show weekend??

yellowfin
    Participant

on the board at the mouth south side of rangi it said 1 so far… And that wasnt my fish lol.
    People keep quiet about their fish as much as possible and alot of the time you can get there and sneak on in without tye crowds surrounding you.
    It is quiet at the moment tho apparently there has been fish caught up river
    And as far south to the orari mouth but noone knows who caught that fish.
    December 15- jan feb is my favourite time i dont normally bother untill jan.
    Too many people , unless you can find a hole plodding down the river bed for miles that noone else fishes you will have people sniffing your arse the whole season, cant stand it myself.
    Id rather sneak in when everyone goes home for the day or find a hole and camp down there.
    Give me a school of kahawai with 10lb braid and a jighead. :P
    I like the idea of salmon being elusive and hard to catch but at the end of the day their number struggle enough as it is maybe we should lay off them for a year or two and let em recover numbers.
    Last season they took 280 salmon from the rangi apparently
    Imagine if all 280 of those fish spread their love.
    Save our salmon

burkefish
    Participant

laying off wont necessarily increase numbers. factors that cause variable runs are size of spawning area size (our rivers have limited areas) , conditions at sea ie food availability floods. in 1992 the lowest runs ever recorded produced 3 years later the biggest runs ever recorded, 3 years later it was back to low runs. 1994-95 20,000 salmon went up the rivers there were so many trying to spawn that they were destroying earlier reeds. supplementing runs as is happening now is probably the best way to help keep consistent numbers and trying to establish bigger and protected spawning areas. this can only happen if we as salmon anglers give some of our time in volunteering to do the work. it is starting to have an effect on the waimak as there were more fish taken last season there than the Rakaia yet the spawning run was around average for the river.

yellowfin
    Participant

I will guarantee you that there were more than 280 salmon caught at the rangitata last season. those 280 on the board at the south side huts are only the ones that get registered into the weigh master, countless others would have been caught throughout the river that don’t get registered,

some people are greedy fishermen. some people are taking many salmon a season, last season I took 8 and released another handful.

people need to look at the big picture and have a think about when enough is enough. after all you can only eat/give away so much, I know a few fishermen who are getting 20 plus a year. it would be good if a few more of those fish made it up the river :roll: :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice comment fishon.

burkefish
    Participant

I think change is slowly happening. the results of a survey in ross millichamps latest book on angler catch showed that 70% of salmon anglers caught 0 for the season, 10% caught 1 or 2 and that it was the other 10% that caught the majority of the fish. this is the group that needs to look at their fishing practice and I include myself in this group, we are the ones that need to take some responsibility for the fishery and give something back to it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well put there Burkefish, no need for bloody greed and glory seeking at the expense of the fishery.

snake
    Participant

whats happening out there guys?I’ve been fishing the mak for 6 nights and one full Sunday haven’t even seen a fish,not sure about numbers of salmon caught, but not much talk around the place.am
    I missing something or has the season been quiet so far?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members