Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Johnwest
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

yea mate.

Stufish
    Participant

Hi everyone…. After fish the Mak for the last 5 seasons looks like i’ll get a decent amount of time both mid reaches and mouth of the Rakaia as I have shifted to Hororata. Have already looked at Steels Rd access but river has been up too high to get down into the bed proper. Was at the gorge bridge this a.m and the colour can be best described as the Same as a David Bain Cardi that be shit brown. But a real good spell of flushing these rivers out is a great thing. Cant wait to get the gear out and chase hard. Tight lines :)

kbel
    Participant

Well all the salmon rivers are going up and down with massive flows and huge amounts of rain in the back country.This will surely change the channels and perhaps create a few good holes.The question is what will happen to all the young smolts in the rivers systems at the moment?

burkefish
    Participant

big floods tend to help smolt transition to salt water better because of the large volume of fresh water flowing out also discoloured water should protect them a bit as they adapt to the new environment.

shark slayer
    Participant

got my bag limit of salmon 2 days in a row last weekend..took 40 mins each day..5 for the season so far so the best start i have ever had..didnt do the season last year but have got the motivation for it this season..will post pics once i get my damned laptop working.. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

@shark slayer where did u get ur bag limit?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Not sea Salmon but had good time at the Tekapo canal today.
    got about 7-8 Salmon around 2-4lb which where released plus a 10lber and 6.5lber which where kept.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice one man theres some good fishing at the tekapo canal i dont bother with ohau anymore
    Too thrashed and the fish are tops 6lb.
    Nice fish biggest ive had over the past few weeks has been 14lb

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah The Tekapo Canal is fishing really well, most people had their bag limits of Salmon yesterday. A shame they have closed the canal road though as you have to go the long way now.

yellowfin
    Participant

Need a decent set ofbolt cutters mate
    Save you a good 10buks gas a trip ;)

fisher33
    Participant

Hey guys

i’m looking at heading up to the Tekapo canals on Friday and was wondering how you access these canals as I have heard the main canal road is locked?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah is closed at the Tekapo end, You have to drive along the highway towards Twizel Then turn onto Hayman road then on to Tekapo canal road and the road is open for 6km. best fishing is at the end of the stilling pond near the spill gates.

fisher33
    Participant

cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Are you guys catching salmon on trout rods? Must be a lot of fun on light gear. Occasionally they are caught in the Waitaki on trout gear.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members